Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Grade around House

In addition to extending the downspout away from my house, which I have since done, I'd like to work on better sloping of the soil on the side of my house. I actually get water near the back of the house (toward the downspout/car). There is dirt here. It is under the part of the house that protrudes out (under our dining room window). I have lots of dirt to use. Should I start adding the dirt now or should I dig the existing dirt out and add some crushed stone? I thought I read this improves drainage.

Last edited by joetab24; 03-19-2010 at 07:18 PM.
joetab24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #2

Grade around House

I would add dirt so that water has a tendency to run away from the foundation and onto the driveway. Grass or other vegetation should be added so rain does not beat down and carry the dirt away, onto the driveway too.

If there is enough space, a thin layer of gravel could be used to protect the soil from being washed away without allowing a pocket of water to remain against the foundation.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:38 PM   #3

Grade around House

lots of rain today.........and no water in basement!!....added some sealant and extended downspout...we'll see what i find tomorrow morning.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:29 AM   #4

Grade around House

no water...first time in 3 years....can't wait for the next rain to test again!