Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Goofy expansion joint question

I am pouring an 8' x 12' slab off the back of my house to place the air conditioner and stairs leading to a paver patio. The block that makes up the foundation of the addition I will be pouring against is not flat, but cast block to look like stone? The "cast face" of the block protrudes about 3/4" so I am wondering how to create my expansion joint. If the block were flat I throw down some 1/2" expansion joint and pour away. Since the "cast face" protrudes if I place the expansion joint against the block I will end up with 3/4" gaps where the slab meets the wall. Any suggestions how to proceed? I also do not plan on pinning the slab to the block. The clay base will be compacted and then 4" of 57 limestone compacted, then 4" slab.

614Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 614Brewer View Post
I am pouring an 8' x 12' slab off the back of my house to place the air conditioner and stairs leading to a paver patio. The block that makes up the foundation of the addition I will be pouring against is not flat, but cast block to look like stone? The "cast face" of the block protrudes about 3/4" so I am wondering how to create my expansion joint. If the block were flat I throw down some 1/2" expansion joint and pour away. Since the "cast face" protrudes if I place the expansion joint against the block I will end up with 3/4" gaps where the slab meets the wall. Any suggestions how to proceed? I also do not plan on pinning the slab to the block. The clay base will be compacted and then 4" of 57 limestone compacted, then 4" slab.
Ayuh,.... Go ahead, 'n do it, then caulk the remainin' seam/ gap with concrete caulkin'...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Use foam expansion joint,do not't remove the key before you caulk.
I used two different caulkings to do mine,the first was a stiff polyurethane caulk to help bridge any large gaps ,after it is cured I then used a self leveling polyurethane over top