Good Vs Bad Waterproofing A Pine Planter Box. - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

good vs bad waterproofing a pine planter box.

My husband bought me a nice 4'x3' raised pine planter box, "a box on three foot legs". As I was getting ready to fill it with dirt he asked me if i was going to paint it and waterproof it. I thought the pine would be fine as it is. Wouldn't waterproofing cause water collecting in the bottom of the bed? I realize the wood will breakdown eventually as part of the normal process but didn't think of protecting it because I dont want anyting to get into the vegetables I plan on growing, ie. stain or paint. I'm confused any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Last edited by Annie Bell; 06-03-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: make my question clearer
Annie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

good vs bad waterproofing a pine planter box.

Iíve never seen an advantage from lining planters with plastic or metal; it only traps moisture against the wood. Coatings can extend the life of a planter but some fear contamination from the breakdown of some paints and coatings. Iím not sure there is a real risk. The safest coating seems to be boiled linseed oil.

In a cold climate an untreated pine planter may last many years. In a warm climate where termites are active, the planter may be in poor shape the second year, whether coated or not.

Poured concrete planters are a bit more work, but they last forever.

Advertisement

pls8xx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pls8xx For This Useful Post:
Annie Bell (06-03-2011)