Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #1

Share |

Was going to use landscape fabric now not sure?

I have beds in the yard which have been neglected for some time, against a PVC fence. The bed is about 1-2 feet wide until the lawn begins. I would like to mulch over the weeds there...I have planted some shrubs/bushes which are coming up nicely...The beds are very weedy, and even now are almost full with weeds. By the summer, it is overgrown. I am worried about eventual weeds coming up through the mulch. I don't know if I would be able to manually weed the area, as its so full of weed.

I was going to put down fabric before I mulch, though I have just read that isn't a great idea. Any ideas what I should do?

theskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #2

Nothing will do any good unless you pull the weeds first. Add Preen then the mulch.
Use Cypress or ceder mulch not hardwood mulch. Hardwood mulch breaks down and molds, and makes great fertalizer for weeds.

Last edited by joecaption; 03-11-2012 at 08:46 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #3

Hands and knees, get yanking
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #4

I used to think fabric was a great idea. I am now preparing to pull it all up for this season. Weeds still grow not only on it, but through it. Then you have a hell of a time trying to pull the weed that is now attached to the fabric which ends up leaving a nice hole in it. My plan for this year is to just lay a nice thick bed of mulch. They say 4 inches is a good amount. I might not do that much, but we'll see. At least this way if a weed grows I can pull it out easily.

Last edited by mikegp; 03-12-2012 at 09:06 AM.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #5

One time I put down the landscape fabric over weeds and all, with slits around existing shrubs.

Next year all the weeds were dead so I removed the landscape fabric completely and respread the mulch (added some new mulch also).
Old 03-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #6

Forget the fabric. All that Mikegp said and then some more.
You can't use a rake or tool on the mulch to remove weeds as it snags the fabric; the weeds do grow through it in spite of claims to the contrary.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #7

A couple of layers of newpaper works well too, it just decomposes in a timely manner
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Nothing will do any good unless you pull the weeds first. Add Preen then the mulch.
Use Cypress or ceder mulch not hardwood mulch. Hardwood mulch breaks down and molds, and makes great fertalizer for weeds.
Yep.

I'd skip the expense & hassle of the landscape fabric. I have never had any luck with it. RoundUp the weeds to kill them, then sprinkle Preen, then apply your mulch.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
Happy to help

I'm assuming Preen is a preemergent? I used to use some great stuff called RonstarG. I think they quit making it, but that stuff was a lifesaver. Could take a planter full of weeds, yank them all, sprinkle that powder, but barely anything for 6 months. I agree that landscape fabric is a pain as it breaks down, but it's great for killing what is underneath.
Lighting Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #10

I agree with the one post. Rake up the mulch, weed or use Round Up and then put down newspapers. Its cheap and it works like a charm. Use Round Up every couple weeks for those weeds that do poke through.
jim pattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #11

I have personally had nothing but success with landscape fabric and I use it everywhere in my beds.

I like the 3M fabric thats not designed to break down over a couple years.

I starves out the weeds underneath after I pull the major ones, and the follow up weeds that grow in the mulch are easilly removed because they are rooted in the mulch.

The only place I don't use it is in the flower garden, because I want the annuals to spread easily.

Just my .02