Gas Trimmer Recommendation - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 254

Gas Trimmer Recommendation

I have a Weed Eater gas trimmer about 12 years old. It is beginning to give me trouble (starting and running) I have had the carb (if you can call it that) apart and cleaned it up and it seems to make it better for awhile, then it starts to act up again. I think it is on 25cc, but good enough for my purposes. Called some fellow about getting it fixed and he quoted me $70.
Heck, it was only $59 when I bought it. I cannot find any carb parts for it, as I don't think thay make Weed Eater anymore, or I would just go get parts. It really has been good for 11 years. I don't want battery or electric....just a small 25cc gas. Again, any recommentations?

Thank for your help.

Advertisement

polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You got 11-12 years out of a little two cycle engine and with the crappy ethanol laden fuels we are all stuck with so chalk it up to a great investment and hope you find a comparable replacement. I would swing by your garden equipment repair place and ask which weed eater things are not seen in the shop often. Bet on buying one from that list?

I think you have reached a point where even if you can find parts you have gotten what life you are going to get out this thing of yours.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I think you have reached a point where even if you can find parts you have gotten what life you are going to get out this thing of yours.
It is only used five or six times a year, so I hardly think it's service life is done. That said, I can't get parts locally. Just checked the net and I can get a new carb for $30 plus $20 shipping. For $50 I would just as soon buy a new trimmer. Suggestions any one? Thank you.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarzak View Post
I have a Weed Eater gas trimmer about 12 years old. It is beginning to give me trouble (starting and running) I have had the carb (if you can call it that) apart and cleaned it up and it seems to make it better for awhile, then it starts to act up again. I think it is on 25cc, but good enough for my purposes. Called some fellow about getting it fixed and he quoted me $70.
Heck, it was only $59 when I bought it. I cannot find any carb parts for it, as I don't think thay make Weed Eater anymore, or I would just go get parts. It really has been good for 11 years. I don't want battery or electric....just a small 25cc gas. Again, any recommentations?

Thank for your help.
Check your little plastic primer bulb/bubble. They're notorious for getting to be a certain age, getting brittle and just breaking.

When my sons & I were doing our lawn-mowing business, I found that 2-cycle engines tend to run about "so long" then buy the farm - regardless of how expensive the trimmer or blower. One of the best trimmers we had was a $69 yellow one I bought at TSC. I don't even remember the brand. Curved shaft. It was cheap, is light, runs good, and it just does the job. All these years later, I'm still using it.

You'll pay more for certain features - features such as name brand, straight shaft, centrifugal clutch, etc.

My suggestion is to just go get a cheap one, on sale, and use it.

Last edited by DrHicks; 06-27-2011 at 09:32 AM.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
polarzak (06-29-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 348

I picked up a 4 stroke craftsman three years back.

Real easy on gas , starts right up every time , quiet ,and no screwing with gas/oil .

The cons are its a little heavy and a tad bit underpowered .

No regrets buying it.
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:07 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,018

I have a Husqvarna 323L that I've been using since 2003 with no problems. Plenty of power...starts up every time.

http://reviews.husqvarna.com/7043/39...ws/reviews.htm

Although I have been happy with this purchase, if it ever breaks down, I would consider a Hitachi.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-CG22EA...9233972&sr=8-1
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Check your little plastic primer bulb/bubble. They're notorious for getting to be a certain age, getting brittle and just breaking.

My suggestion is to just go get a cheap one, on sale, and use it.
I replaced the blub last year, so that shouldn't be the issue. It seems to be a gas problem...not getting any or not enough sometimes. Something in the carb is my guess. Maybe dirt, although I have had it apart and cleaned it. Maybe a crack in the diaphragm I cannot see. Lots of spark.

All that said I like your advice. Buy a cheap one and use it. There was Weedeater, similar to mine, on sale for $79.00, and I picked it up yesterday. Heck, the other Weedeater lasted for over 10 years with my limited use, so this one should do the same.

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. Regards.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
I replaced the blub last year, so that shouldn't be the issue. It seems to be a gas problem...not getting any or not enough sometimes. Something in the carb is my guess. Maybe dirt, although I have had it apart and cleaned it. Maybe a crack in the diaphragm I cannot see. Lots of spark.

All that said I like your advice. Buy a cheap one and use it. There was Weedeater, similar to mine, on sale for $79.00, and I picked it up yesterday. Heck, the other Weedeater lasted for over 10 years with my limited use, so this one should do the same.

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. Regards.
The weedeater of today ain't the same as the weedeater of yesterday.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 292

Quote:

Thank for your help.
have you change the gas line's that come out of the gas tank?? I bet they are closing up due to this dam gas we have to use?? I have to change mine and i have echo machines. I have 3 different one's. I have change the prime bub the little plastic bub that you push on. They just crack and won't let the motor run or run at different speed's or not at all. So check the line's.
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 103

I've had a Stihl FS55R for a couple years and like it a lot more than the old WeedEater one I used to have. A little pricier, but I'm glad I got it. I've also used the comparable Echo model at my in-laws, and like that too.

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS55R.html
Durt Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
have you change the gas line's that come out of the gas tank??
I checked after reading your post, and the gas line is fine. What I DID find was the little connector between the outside tank line, and inside tank line was cracked. I am not mechanical engineer but the configuration seems a little dumb to me. Why not run a straight fuel line from the carb right though to the filter in the tank? I will pick up a fuel line, and do it my way, one straight line, no connector. Frankly I can see no way to install the little connector anyway, as it has to be inserted from inside the tank. A buck or so for the fuel line, and if it works, I take the new one back. If it doesn't fix the problem,, I am only out a buck or two, and I already have the new one.
Thanks for the info.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 292

Quote:
I checked after reading your post, and the gas line is fine. What I DID find was the little connector between the outside tank line, and inside tank line was cracked. I am not mechanical engineer but the configuration seems a little dumb to me. Why not run a straight fuel line from the carb right though to the filter in the tank? I will pick up a fuel line, and do it my way, one straight line, no connector. Frankly I can see no way to install the little connector anyway, as it has to be inserted from inside the tank. A buck or so for the fuel line, and if it works, I take the new one back. If it doesn't fix the problem,, I am only out a buck or two, and I already have the new one.
Thanks for the info.
the way to do it is make a hook and hook the line in the tank pull it out of the tank now their will be a little piece on the end of the hose . Now pull the old line out Now stick the new line in from the top of the tank and pull it out. Now hook the new line to the little piece and make is al long as the old one. now push the new line back into the tank. Now hook the other end to the carb. You are done.
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #13

Thanks. Makes sense, but I tried the straight through method and still no go. So I kicked the old one in the corner, opened up my new one and am happy with it. I appreciate the help.

Advertisement