Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #1

Share |

Garden Furniture

What is some of the best type of garden furniture to have?
Also was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to build a garden
bench?

-Nedra
luverofplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #2

Garden Furniture

Pls PM me with any advice on Gradne furniture that you may have. Thanks!
luverofplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #3

Garden Furniture

From what I've been told, teak is the best wood to use for garden furniture. It requires no finish and will not deteriorate as much over time as other furniture. If you are interested in building your own, there are thousands of free plans on the internet. Google is your friend.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #4

Garden Furniture

http://www.kingsleybate.com

I have seen many of their benches installed at a variety of locations. Some of them pretty wet with no apparent issues.
Solid teak and USA made.
LoneStarGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:08 AM   #5

Garden Furniture

I think teak and cedar is best choice.
Teak age good like a fine wine. Cedar is my choice because it repelies insects and won't rot as fast as other woods.

For a Simple Bench Use Cedar, it may be pricey.
If you have skills or the machine, the best kind of joint is mortis and tenon joint. Remember mortis is the female part and tenon is the male part. I'm trying to put it in a kinder gentle way, if you get my drift. 1/3 of each side are cut off for the tenon. All can be complete with drill and chissle. I do stress that a drillpress is recommended, cause using a hand drill for the mortis is very difficult, if not impossible. Mortis and tenon can be rounded or rectangular, it's up to you. Forstner bit is recommended. Cut mortis first. Make sure mortis is 1/8 inch deeper then the tenon, so it wont bottom-out.

Oh yeah, if you find out that the mortis and tenon join seems to be loose you can glue:

(from think to thick choices)

a) paperbag or
b) 12 pack of soda can cardboard or
c) wood vineer (sand with block to fit)

to the tenon and let it dry, then glue that tenon to the mortis and it should fit snuggly. Cardboard is use for smaller fill space. If you need a bigger fillspace use wood vineer. This will help you save your wood by not throwing it away cause you messt up on the joints.

This is a medium size project.

If this seems too difficult you can always drill a hole through the wood joint and screw it in. Counter-sink the screw by drilling within the same hole, one size bigger drill bit that 1/8 inch deep. Thats if you wanna save money and not get a countersinker drill bit.
If this is your first time making it, I say you make a bench with no back for it is more easyer.

Oh yeah on thing. I am not a exspert nor have I ever did mortis and tenon join or even wood working. I just watch a lot of tv and have the knowledge, but soon I will be doing woodworking once I save up enough money!

Last edited by r3dmonk3y; 12-30-2008 at 08:34 AM.
r3dmonk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #6

Garden Furniture

I totally agree with you.. Teak is one of the best choice for the furniture if you don't want to change your furniture every year.. Its little costly but its durability makes it unique from others.. Most of my garden furniture is of teak and now its around five years using the same one with no problem.. All over teak is
BMCNAMARA (03-09-2011)