Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Fungus / Shrroms home exterior - how to identify level of prob and destroy them

Greetings,

Got a one month old newbie girl and also 2 pups that spend alot of time in the yard..getting more and more concerned about some fungi / shrooms / mysterious black sludge that seems to be rooted in almost completely shaded area/corner that is right next to our kitchen door that leads into the backyard.

This nastiness also has seems to venture out a bit and is now integrated with masonry that is close to the black hole of hell. Alot of traffic goes through here - us, the pooches etc...can't be good right?

As stated looking to:

1) identify, if possible the species of shrroms or whatever in the pics and determine if it's going to spread the black plague or if it's just something thats probably not good from an allergy perspective and certainly dont want the dogs munching on this stuff..

2) find out best courses of action to remove this stuff. I have a full gas can in the shed ready Like the cig butt?

Pictures Description:

1) First few - The area described. That tree, in my opinion, might be the root cause. It's a 6-7 ft stump that has been integrated into the fence for some reason and sits on shared property line (duplex setup here)..behind it is the pit of despair. You can see bigger mushrooms growing out of the tree.

2) Other pics - self explanatory pics of little mushies in the brick work, joints between sidewalk and masonry and other pleasing visuals.

I know the pics aren't that close up..i can get a high rez of the mushrooms if needed..and priob posted too many..sorries.

Thanks for all your help. Looking to take action asap!

[IMG]http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af60/zrstopa/IMG_0549-
1.jpg[/IMG]

zstopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 12

It is nature; hard time fighting it. Likely due to lack of sun, moisture. I guess you could try cleaning out crevices etc. of soil and the tree stump to remove organic matter these are feeding and growing from. Might try altering the pH of the area as the fungi may prefer acid to a basic environment or vice versa (google fungi pH etc). Anything you use chemically would have to be used in consideration of safety to your child, dogs, and you.
Google boric acid and fungus control; might be of benefit. Some conflicting info but I think generally seen as safe to use.

Last edited by bob22; 08-31-2011 at 02:49 PM.
bob22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

With that stump in place herding rain water into that corner, it is going to be an uphill fight. Air circulation and sunshine are the best things to get rid of mold. Can you discuss removal of the stump with the property managers? If you pitched in some of the effort to pull the stump, regrade and replace the fence, that would fix it.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote