Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Fruit Trees in the Yard

I have an almost awesome cherry tree in the yard and it is covered in cherries (yay!) However, the birds LOVE it and as a result the area under the tree is becoming covered in half-eaten / rotten cherry bits and is getting a little.. gross. Is there some easy way to deal with that other than walking through and trying to get it all by hand? It doesn't smell bad but there are quite a few flies around.

cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
the Musigician

Fruit Trees in the Yard

Throw a net over the tree?

DM

Old 06-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #3

Fruit Trees in the Yard

Ditto,
I had a buddy that used to have the same problem. The birds would eat all the cherries before he could pick them. He bought netting to place over the tree to keep the birds out. Not sure where to get it, but just google it and you should find it easily.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #4

Fruit Trees in the Yard

I don't mind the birds so much as I do the half-eaten cherries that end up on the ground and the resultant flies. I'll never pick or eat them all as is and it appears that quite a bit of it has fallen to brown rot - so a lot isn't worth picking anyways

The tree itself is rotten through the middle and 1/3 of it fell over earlier in the year so its on its way out sadly...

I will look into some netting though. Maybe I can keep them off of my blueberry bush as well that way.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #5

Fruit Trees in the Yard

Gurney's and Henry Fields both offer the netting. As for the smell, try hydrolyzed lime from a building supply or kitty litter.
olderndirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #6

Fruit Trees in the Yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
I don't mind the birds so much as I do the half-eaten cherries that end up on the ground and the resultant flies. I'll never pick or eat them all as is and it appears that quite a bit of it has fallen to brown rot - so a lot isn't worth picking anyways

The tree itself is rotten through the middle and 1/3 of it fell over earlier in the year so its on its way out sadly...

I will look into some netting though. Maybe I can keep them off of my blueberry bush as well that way.
If the tree is rotten why not just cut it down before it gets blown down in a thunderstorm. No half eaten cherries, no dead trees, no birds, Problem solved
speedster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #7

Fruit Trees in the Yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster1 View Post
If the tree is rotten why not just cut it down before it gets blown down in a thunderstorm. No half eaten cherries, no dead trees, no birds, Problem solved
A part of it fell earlier in the year. I had a tree service come out and look at it - he said that it should be ok for another year or two and wasn't doing terrible since it was fruiting but that it is on its last legs.

At the moment I'm trying to get some cuttings and seeds to grow, at least if I can figure out this cold stratification thing...
Old 06-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #8

Fruit Trees in the Yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
A part of it fell earlier in the year. I had a tree service come out and look at it - he said that it should be ok for another year or two and wasn't doing terrible since it was fruiting but that it is on its last legs.

At the moment I'm trying to get some cuttings and seeds to grow, at least if I can figure out this cold stratification thing...
Just a question, do you ever plan on eating the cherries? Your earlier post indicated that you didn't really care about them. If not, why bother with another cherry tree? Lots of other neat looking trees that would be lower maintenance.

I myself love cherries. But they always seem to have bird issues. Maybe you can try spraying them to keep the birds out.
speedster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #9

Fruit Trees in the Yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster1 View Post
Just a question, do you ever plan on eating the cherries? Your earlier post indicated that you didn't really care about them. If not, why bother with another cherry tree? Lots of other neat looking trees that would be lower maintenance.

I myself love cherries. But they always seem to have bird issues. Maybe you can try spraying them to keep the birds out.
I probably wasn't clear earlier. I do pick and eat them (they are pretty tasty) but it isn't a cash crop or anything like that. I'll never pick them all and I certainly won't eat them all. If the birds eat some it's not the end of the world - and it's kind of fun to watch them.