Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Doin' work

Share |

Fruit Salad Trees....

Anyone heard of and/or have any of these trees? I just heard about them today, and they seem pretty cool with what I've read so far. Just hoping to hear from some people that have them. Also I'm trying to locate them, all I seem to be able to find are bareroots, and I'd rather start with a 15 gallon or something a little larger than a bareroot because of the work involved. I'm in SW Riverside County CA, for anyone who may be near by and knows where to find one. Thanks in advance for any help.

ariscus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #2

Fruit Salad Trees....

You mean this??
Attached Thumbnails
Fruit Salad Trees....-fruit_salad.jpg  

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Doin' work

Fruit Salad Trees....

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
You mean this??
lol, but yes, apparently they are real, they splice multiple fruit trees together, and you get a variety of fruits, or nuts on one tree. It's pretty cool, and it's apparently real. I talked to someone who's parents have one up in Sacramento but she knows nothing about it except it puts out lemons, limes, and oranges.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #4

Fruit Salad Trees....

Sorry never heard of them until now. If you google it all the sites are for Australia. Neat idea though. I wonder what the quality of the fruit would be like.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #5

Fruit Salad Trees....

Hey I'd like a peanut butter cookie tree
Old 05-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Doin' work

Fruit Salad Trees....

There is a place up near Ventura that sells them, the girl I talked to said the ones from her parents tree are delicious and taste like each one should. She also said she thinks they produce the different fruits at different times, though there is some overlapping.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Fruit Salad Trees....

Had a dwarf apple tree that produced five species of apples prolifically! It was great. Each species had its own branches but all were grafted to a common root stock. I would look for an orchard or nursery that specializes in grafting. Having dwarf root stock made the tree super easy to care for too. You didn't need a giant ladder to prune it and pruning is critical to growing fruit.

If you cannot find what you want, you could probably do your own grafting. It is not difficult---in theory at least. I should think you would want to stick with pitted fruits and not mix with seeded fruits on the same root stock.

Did a quick google search for "grafted fruit salad trees" and found this. This is an Australian company but it had a good description.

http://www.fruitsaladtrees.com/html/variet.html

Here is a website from Grass Valley, CA which might work for you?

http://www.groworganic.com/multi-gra...emi-dwarf.html

One more California reference suggesting pitted fruit grafts, seeded fruits, and citrus fruits. Not all on the same tree stock though. I will leave further searching to you!

http://www.crfg-central.org/Informat..._OF_PLENTY.HTM

Post back what you find. It is kind of a cool idea.

Last edited by user1007; 05-18-2012 at 05:29 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:00 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Fruit Salad Trees....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Had a dwarf apple tree that produced five species of apples prolifically! It was great. Each species had its own branches but all were grafted to a common root stock. I would look for an orchard or nursery that specializes in grafting. Having dwarf root stock made the tree super easy to care for too. You didn't need a giant ladder to prune it and pruning is critical to growing fruit.

If you cannot find what you want, you could probably do your own grafting. It is not difficult---in theory at least. I should think you would want to stick with pitted fruits and not mix with seeded fruits on the same root stock.

Did a quick google search for "grafted fruit salad trees" and found this. This is an Australian company but it had a good description.

http://www.fruitsaladtrees.com/html/variet.html

Here is a website from Grass Valley, CA which might work for you?

http://www.groworganic.com/multi-gra...emi-dwarf.html

One more California reference suggesting pitted fruit grafts, seeded fruits, and citrus fruits. Not all on the same tree stock though. I will leave further searching to you!

http://www.crfg-central.org/Informat..._OF_PLENTY.HTM

Post back what you find. It is kind of a cool idea.

Difficult? Maybe not but it is VERY hard to do properly

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote