Front Yard Sloped Towards My House... - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
eah

Rewards Points: 10

Front Yard Sloped towards my house...

My husband and I just bought our house last Nov. and we are trying to think of ways to "fix" our front lawn. It has a steep slope going from the road to our house. Our lawn and driveway are really soggy -typical for a Vermont thaw i guess, but we want to make it look nicer and level out the yard if possble. We were thinking of maybe a retaining wall but thought I would hop on here to get some advise/ideas. I can post pics later if that would help.
Thanks
Eah

Advertisement

eah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Do you have a picture ?

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

You could go the retaining wall route- just make sure there is enough drainage on the backfill side of the wall to prevent water and wet soil from moving the wall.

You also cut a swale perpendicular to the slope to carry the water away from the wall and the house.
GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

One thing I'm in the process of doing (will restart once the snow melts) is to dig out a french drain around my house, and slope it towards the street. I've heard that I only need to go a foot down, and then I've heard I need to dig down to the frostline, but in either case, I have a 36ft exterior wall that has a huge slope that hits the house and brings the neighbors water with it.

You might want to consider a french drain.
Tonglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote