Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #1

Share |

Front yard landscaping tips

I got a part of front yard abount 2 m x 12 m - spraying weed killers frequently but want to get rid of this and change to stone/pebbles type - low/zero maintenance land scaping.

Very new to this as lived in apartments prior to this and haven't got much clue.

I will appreciate any pointers on DIY tips. Thanks.

beginner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #2

Do you know your planting zone? if not, you can check it here: http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html .... when starting any landscaping, you should first consider your zone, so you can choose the right plant combinations that wil be hardy in your area.

Also what kind of light does this spot get? Full sun, part sun, or part shade or full shade? If fUll shade, is this a deep shade?
MOST full sun plants need at least 6 hours of sunlight each day ...

As a rule of thumb, low maintenance, easy plants include evergreens and shrubs. You can do a very nice planting arrangement in just low growing evergreen bushes, and they will look nice all year long .... unless you live in a zone not suitable to them ..... so once we have the above info established, I can help you out more and would be happy to supply you a list of plants and flowers for this spot.

natwlsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

I know I would also love a low/no maintenance yard, but with the number of trees I have, that ain't gonna happen.

Knowing where you are located, and posting a pic of the area would help tremendously.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
I know I would also love a low/no maintenance yard, but with the number of trees I have, that ain't gonna happen.

Knowing where you are located, and posting a pic of the area would help tremendously.
Trees make for so much work, don't they? Continuous clean up! I have a lot in my yard as well .... we are always cleaning up branches.
natwlsn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to natwlsn For This Useful Post:
Blondesense (12-19-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #5

There is not much you can to as far as low maintenance with so many trees :/
But when it comes to landscaping Hard work really pays off. We started our front yard with just dirt and when we sold our house it was lush and full and green, just takes lots of work, but like I said, well worth it
PaintingTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #6

Even if you put down a weed barrier and river rock, the weeds will still grow. Why not plant it full of evergreens? No leaves or branches to clean and they stay green year round. If you can keep the sun from getting to the ground, the weeds grow slower.
tractorfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorfarmer View Post
Even if you put down a weed barrier and river rock, the weeds will still grow. Why not plant it full of evergreens? No leaves or branches to clean and they stay green year round. If you can keep the sun from getting to the ground, the weeds grow slower.
Your post just made me smile! I grew up in the Evergreen State- Washington! I could smell the pine needles when you said that, haha, sorry to be a bit off thread there, in all fairness TractorFarmer is onto something there, they are very easy to maintain, but do they thrive everywhere? I always assumed they needed lots of water
PaintingTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #8

Most evergreens do not need more water then most other types of trees.
tractorfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
Meep!

We're going to start introducing Pachysandra to our non-desireable planting areas. There are some already in the front, just need more to sill some other barren areas what don't get enough sunlight for grass. CLICK

We have a lot of very, very tall trees in Waukazoo Woods. You can see what it does to our backyard. Lots of Oak and Beechnut. Pines are in the front where the Pachys will go...

Joe Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #10

You might need low voltage light system for better night view

Brass blacksmit is offline   Reply With Quote