Front Yard Landscaping Help - Landscaping & Lawn Care - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 302
Rewards Points: 250
Default

front yard landscaping help


Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Knots View Post
Yes, grass in the middle...just put stones in the oval bed along with
the plants. I put a pic of my front yard in a thread last week...
now I cant find it.
In my opinion, the front should be neat with plants and a minimum
of flowers. In our yard our front is neat, the back yard it the opposite,
high impact.
The example I showed you -- is from the end of our pond, I tried to
show what I mean by incorporating rocks and driftweed in a flower bed.

BTW. I would make the oval with some curves that are in and out,
keep it interesting.
Grass in between would be ideal, but I have kids who play sports to this area. Trying to figure out what else could go in the middle and still look good...

Advertisement

valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 302
Rewards Points: 250
Default

front yard landscaping help


Quote:
Originally Posted by valpd View Post

Grass in between would be ideal, but I have kids who play sports to this area. Trying to figure out what else could go in the middle and still look good...
I just added the mulch recently so I would want to keep that inside the rings.
valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 755
Rewards Points: 592
Default

front yard landscaping help


I mean two seperate beds, one oval, one round...the space in the
middle of the beds (the rings) fill in with grass.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 302
Rewards Points: 250
Default

front yard landscaping help


Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Knots View Post
I mean two seperate beds, one oval, one round...the space in the
middle of the beds (the rings) fill in with grass.
I was thinking more of doing a 6-8ft ring around the tree and a 3-4ft ring around the lamppost. As far as the grass....Great idea but I have kids running around this area constantly. Grass seed wouldn't work and I really don't wanna do sod.
valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 302
Rewards Points: 250
Default

front yard landscaping help


Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Knots View Post
I mean two seperate beds, one oval, one round...the space in the
middle of the beds (the rings) fill in with grass.
I would keep mulch in the rings.
valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 755
Rewards Points: 592
Default

front yard landscaping help


Yes, that would be fine...
Here's the front of our yard.

The big trees have a circle with just hosta.

The other bed is an irregular shaped Island with vinca vine,
low growing birds nest shruns, a Japanese Maple, and rocks that are
now hardly visable.

Taken from inside the house.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 302
Rewards Points: 250
Default

front yard landscaping help


Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Knots View Post
Yes, that would be fine...
Here's the front of our yard.

The big trees have a circle with just hosta.

The other bed is an irregular shaped Island with vinca vine,
low growing birds nest shruns, a Japanese Maple, and rocks that are
now hardly visable.

Taken from inside the house.
Looks great. Still thinking of ideas of what to put instead of grass in the middle.
valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 302
Rewards Points: 250
Default

front yard landscaping help


Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Knots View Post
Yes, that would be fine...
Here's the front of our yard.

The big trees have a circle with just hosta.

The other bed is an irregular shaped Island with vinca vine,
low growing birds nest shruns, a Japanese Maple, and rocks that are
now hardly visable.

Taken from inside the house.
What about leaving the connection between the tree and lamppost but just making a new design with the pavers?
valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #24
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 7,651
Rewards Points: 2,616
Default

front yard landscaping help


Two knots...I was just about to reference your pic from that thread last week...perfect example of how to do it....

BTW....I love the look of your front yard...no straight lines....nice random smooth curves...plenty of variety. Great choice of ground cover around the tree and most importantly....well manicured....
__________________
Even if you are on the right track, you will still get run over if you just sit there.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

front yard landscaping help


Drive through an expensive area and you will see all the really classy homes have river rock instead of mulch
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 755
Rewards Points: 592
Default

front yard landscaping help


Thanks ddawg...
valid...Here's what you can do...make the oval bed, make the round bed,
both lined with the pavers you already have.
If you don't want grass in the middle, then cut a curvy bed between
both beds with just a cut edge and plant more low growing shrubs.
Go for different shades of green, in between put nice rocks.

I prefer river rock over mulch, but that's personal choice.

Another hint...lay the shape of your bed out -- with a garden house,
step back and look at it and decide what you like before cutting the bed.

If I knew how to use a landscaping program I would draw it up for you.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 302
Rewards Points: 250
Default

front yard landscaping help


Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Knots View Post
Thanks ddawg...
valid...Here's what you can do...make the oval bed, make the round bed,
both lined with the pavers you already have.
If you don't want grass in the middle, then cut a curvy bed between
both beds with just a cut edge and plant more low growing shrubs.
Go for different shades of green, in between put nice rocks.

I prefer river rock over mulch, but that's personal choice.

Another hint...lay the shape of your bed out -- with a garden house,
step back and look at it and decide what you like before cutting the bed.

If I knew how to use a landscaping program I would draw it up for you.
Draw it on paper. Take a pic and post it.
valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 755
Rewards Points: 592
Default

front yard landscaping help


ok, the first pic is my choice...just two seperate beds with grass
in between.

The beds could be lined with your pavers.

in bed A...plant low growing evergreens and decorate
with large rocks.

in bed B around the lamp post just plant something
like hosta or woodbine.

in the second drawing, bed c ... I connected the two beds with
another bed ... no pavers surrounding this bed, just a nice
deep cut bed. Again, low growing rock garden type evergreens.
If you do this bed (c) I think a Japanese red maple would be
great in the middle of this bed.

I would re-think the chips in the beds...it would be ok to keep
them...but, river rock would fit much better with some large
rocks and boulders.
Attached Thumbnails
front yard landscaping help-image.jpg  
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 755
Rewards Points: 592
Default

front yard landscaping help


Valpd...When I say big rocks in the bed, be choosy,
some great looking rocks along with great looking
low growing shrubs will look awesome.

Go on a rock hunt and find some great rocks.

We move rocks around like furniture.
As the plants fill in and bury our rocks, we move
them around...
This is my favorite rock, I call it my frog rock...
it looks like a frog and the golden color is awesome.

can you see that it looks like a frog;
can you the hind leg and see the head?
Attached Thumbnails
front yard landscaping help-image.jpg  
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 302
Rewards Points: 250
Default

front yard landscaping help


Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Knots View Post
ok, the first pic is my choice...just two seperate beds with grass
in between.

The beds could be lined with your pavers.

in bed A...plant low growing evergreens and decorate
with large rocks.

in bed B around the lamp post just plant something
like hosta or woodbine.

in the second drawing, bed c ... I connected the two beds with
another bed ... no pavers surrounding this bed, just a nice
deep cut bed. Again, low growing rock garden type evergreens.
If you do this bed (c) I think a Japanese red maple would be
great in the middle of this bed.

I would re-think the chips in the beds...it would be ok to keep
them...but, river rock would fit much better with some large
rocks and boulders.


I ran into these at work today and I wonder what they are. They look great.

I am still torn between grass seed or sod. I can easily make the rings, but then there's going right be one big black blob of dirt in the middle until I decide on what to do with the area.

Advertisement

valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front Yard Landscaping Idea's. stikky_p Landscaping & Lawn Care 6 05-03-2012 11:38 AM
how to fix washing machine front spring rvegab00 Appliances 2 04-11-2012 04:30 AM
Questions regarding raising front yard and reseeding! hanleyster Landscaping & Lawn Care 3 06-17-2011 08:19 AM
Help me with my tiny front yard! hanleyster Landscaping & Lawn Care 6 06-09-2011 06:23 PM
How do I shut off the valve (sprinkler system) from the front yard to the backyard? chriskwash Landscaping & Lawn Care 2 08-31-2010 07:33 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts