Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #1

Share |

Front walkway drainage

Hello,

I am looking for suggestions on how to solve a minor drainage issue.
I am having an issue with water pooling on our front walkway/entrance. It's not really surprising considering that the front lawn and driveway slope towards the house. Luckily, someone did something right, there is a grade AWAY from the house and water does not collect close to the foundation. I would also like to add a small walkway parallel to our drive leading up to the existing walkway. My first thought is to install a dry well to the left of the walk but I'm not sure how it would work in our soil (Austin, TX). I also considered a french drain but it would require a run around the house to the back of the property (at least 200').

Hopefully the pictures will illustrate what I'm talking about.

Thank you.

Matt
Attached Images

MattATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
Always learning...

Front walkway drainage

I'm sure there's more than one way to handle this, but if its OK with your city/town then I would prefer to go this route. The square represents where I would dig a hole for a sump pit and the line represents the discharge line flowing to the street. As long as you wrap your sump pit with drainage clothe and surround it with lots of gravel, it should do a great job at soaking up all that standing water and pumping it out to the street. My city says its OK to pump rain water into the street, but things are pretty laid back here so I would check with your area to find out.
Attached Images

fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote