Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Freestanding wall foundation subsiding from erosion.

Hi All,

We purchased our home with a nice patio with a flagstone wall going around the perimeter. In the past 2 years or so we have been in the home, the edges of this wall have started to erode, and I am hoping to stop this from happening before the wall starts leaning. I attached some pics for reference. What should I fill this in with?

PS. Dont mind the lawn o weeds, that next years project

teamcampreder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,086

A wall that tall should have had a full footing pored before the stones went up.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
teamcampreder (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,082

That wall appears to be built using concrete masonry units specifically designed for use in retaining walls. You can tell by removing one of the units and seeing if there is a slot or similar connection between the upper unit and the one below it. I can't tell for sure from the photos, but it does not look like the blocks are retaining any soil, so the wall appears to be decorative rather than actually a retaining wall.

In any case, concrete block walls do not normally require a concrete footer, you simply excavate down to mineral soil (remove topsoil, all organic soil) and begin the wall. Each block manufacturer has specific recommendations for building with their block, which you should follow. Course if you are not actually retaining soil, then it does not much matter.

As for filling in front of the wall, sand, gravel, or a mixture of the two is good, and you can put a layer of topsoil over which you can plant grass on.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
teamcampreder (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I actually have looked into the product used, and it is like a srw but minus the (r)etaining. I agree that a concrete footing would not be nessacary as this wall is less than 3 feet tall, but I do appreciate you trying to help.

Any suggestions on an effective way to pack it in underneath? I am going to be laying down about 3 inch of topsoil everwhere in that area, so that should solve further erosion
teamcampreder is offline   Reply With Quote