DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Free Flower Bed Plant Booster - used Coffee Grounds..

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Nik333 
#1 ·
don't bother throwing away your used coffee grounds.. toss them in your flower beds.. or store them in a open top bucket then mix them in with your top soil when planting..
the grounds offer nutrients to the plant, darken the soil and helps to keep the soil loose promoting good root growth..
:wink2:

#3 ·
Do some research before getting your hopes too high. Too many conflicting reports for me to get too excited about nutrient values. Although I do compost ours for convenience I won't be frequenting McDonald's or Starbucks for theirs.

Example: of the first 2 sites I read values, one said nitrogen was nearly nil while the second stated coffee grounds were an excellent source of nitrogen.

#5 ·
When I was a kid, my grandmother taught me to mix coffee grounds and egg shells into the soil around ROSE bushes, then cover the soil with mulch.

She always had the prettiest and best roses in town.

ED

Reactions: Nik333
#8 ·
Yes! There was a straggly rose that wasn't blooming that I invested all my used coffee grounds & eggshells on, besides the redwood. It then bloomed beautifully. I think the only "nutrient" is calcium in eggshells & acid ( not a nutrient to my knowledge) in the coffee. Plus fiber to help aerate the soil. ( Added nitrogen et al)

Most neglected gardens seem to have everything except rocks washed away. I don't know why it's so satisfying to make good, rich soil & see earthworms pop up :wink2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.