Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Forsythia for privacy hedge?

Our rear property line is 75' long and backs up to the backyard of another home. I am working on building an area at the rear of the yard with a firepit, picnic table, etc...and would like some privacy. There are a number of mature trees on the property line, but for the most part it's wide open, so I'd like to plant a "privacy hedge" along the line to close our backyard in. Would forsythia be a good choice? I've read that some varieties will grow up to 8-10 feet tall and 8-10 feet in diameter, so I was hoping that if I planted to them about 7' apart along the line (set back about 4' to allow them room to grow) that they would grow into a nice dense hedge.

Badfish740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

Forsythia will form a tall hedge quickly---However they require a lot of pruning --that's the drawback to that hedge.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I want a natural looking privacy and sound barrier on my lot. I plan on planting a mix of some or all of these evergreens: English Laurel, Dwarf Waxmyrtle, Sarcococca, and Loropetalum. Forsythia can help with summer privacy. I may plant a few, but as accent pieces, not for privacy. I've heard you can break off a branch and throw it in the ground to start a new bush.
sippinjoes is offline   Reply With Quote