Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #1

Share |

Forsythia

I have about 200 feet along the road that I'd like to plant shrubs for privacy. Currently, I have bridal wreath spireas that the previous owner planted. They are old, and even after cutting them back to the ground, they only grew to about 5-6 feet. I need something taller. I was looking at the "weeping" forsythia (forsythia suspensa). Has anyone planted this variety? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
cougar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #2

Forsythia

I have a HUGE Forsythia in my back yard.

While it's pretty tall at something like 6', it's a lot wider. Never gets any taller, but it does get wider and wider as the years go by.

You'll give up a lot of ground in the process of getting that height. Would it be worth it?
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #3

Forsythia

Thanks for the feedback! I have about 2-1/2 --> 3 acres, so space along the road is not an issue. I just wasn't sure how "bushy" it is, or if it's a leggy looking plant once the yellow flowers drop. The largest spirea I have is about 7' tall and maybe 7' + wide. Most others are only about 5'-'6', and still other never made it past 3'. On a corner lot, I feel like I'm living in a fish bowl. So, I was looking for something that grew tall and quick.
cougar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #4

Forsythia

I know the rabbits have chewed and pretty much destroyed my neighbor's forsythia bushes. If you have rabbits you may consider planting something they don't like to eat.

Rabbits do a lot of damage to shrubs, especially during the winter months. They gnaw at the bark, eat the stems and buds and snip off new saplings as they emerge through the snow. Rabbits favor hawthorn, rose of Sharon, lilac, forsythia and oak leaf hydrangea. Fruit-producing bushes are excellent food sources for rabbits. They eat the fruit, leaves and thin branches of the blackberry, raspberry and blueberry bushes. Rabbits don't like to eat butterfly bush, azaleas, yew, rhododendron and boxwood shrubs and usually leave them untouched unless they are starving.

But if you can keep them growing then the 200' of forsythia bushes in the spring would look awesome.

Last edited by Larryh86GT; 03-21-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Larryh86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #5

Forsythia

If you can put up a chain link fence high enough, you can always plant English Ivy.

I did that down in Florida around the perimeter of a back yard pool. Went eight foot high, and had complete privacy within a couple years. Couldn't even tell the fence was there after 4 years.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Forsythia

FWIW, we have English Ivy growing up several oak trees. It was totally out of control when we moved in. Now it is a challenge to keep in under control. Be careful what you wish for.

A lot depends on your location. In some areas it can become really invasive.

When discussing plants it really is a good idea to know where you are located.

How-To Add or Edit Your Location
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote