Forming Holes In Surface Of Wet Concrete - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

forming holes in surface of wet concrete

I want to set a few decorative 4" slate tiles in a small concrete slab under an outdoor stair. The tiles will not be ready for weeks, and I'd like to pour the pad this weekend, so my plan was to cut some 4.25" squares from 1/4" plywood, and press these into the wet mix flush with the surface. After it cures, I'll glue some little handles on the back with 15 minute epoxy and pull them out, leaving cavities to glue/grout the tiles into later.

Is this a mistake? Will the wood tend to float out of the wet mix, or other basic problems? Any better ideas for how to do this?

I planned to cut the edges with a 10 bevel to let them release. Is that enough? How tightly will the concrete adhere to the wood, particularly the porous edge grain? I thought I might cork on a bit of paraffin. Would some other release agent be better? Will residue interfere with the later adhesion of the tiles?

Finally, how long should the concrete cure before pulling the plugs? This is in Seattle, so average temp will be 50, roughly.

Thanks,
Mike

Advertisement

mx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

forming holes in surface of wet concrete

Do you have a reason for not laying your slate tiles like this: http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiWO0nR9B90

Gotta love that Gershwin.

Advertisement