Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2011, 06:50 AM   #1

Share |

Flymo weedeater problem

Good day

I have a flymo weedeater which I use to neatly trip the edges of my garden. This unique part of equipment is however making life difficult for me.
When using it to trim the edges, it will start making a horrible noise and then both the strings at the bottom will be out - much longer than required.

It then have to stop and turn the weedeater upside down, rotate the string back ont the spool and trim the edges for another 30 seconds before it starts unravelling again.

Please help before I post this weedeater to the dump.
What am I doing wrong.

PS. The string is correct according to the specifications and I have bought a new spool to wind the string onto.

Thank you in advance.

Gideon
GideonEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #2

Flymo weedeater problem

Hi Gideon, I know how you feel, it's a real pain, after spending a lot of time trying to fix a design fault i found the only answer is to take the spool cover off and remove the cord spool and leave it out.
Next get some heavy grade .080 in.dia. trimmer line. and cut it about 400mm long.
Make a knot 150mm from one end.
Make a knot 150mm from the other end.
You now have a gap of about 100mm between the knots.
working from inside the spool housing, push one end of the line through the double metal posts where the line normally goes out until one knot will stop it, then do the same with the other end of the line then replace the cover.
Then cut each line end to the correct length and your done.
I made two which meant I had double lines coming from each side.
I realize when they wear down you have to replace them but if you make up several spares it only takes a minute or so, and it's really great to be able to work without all the problems...Good luck Bob

Last edited by jarob; 01-21-2012 at 09:54 PM.
jarob is offline   Reply With Quote