Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #1

Share |

Flowers under trees

Hi Folks, I have 2 Pecan trees that I would like to plant some perennials under.These are large trees with medium shade.I would like a flowering shrub or something with good color.What do you recommend?

Thanks, Glenn
Middle Georgia

G Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

Flowers under trees

Well, for light shade in Georgia you can't beat azaleas if you want the same thing everybody else has. Seriously, look around in your area at other yards and see what you like. It has been my experience 100% of the time that folks will tell you what the plants in their yard are if they know. Lots of shrubs and perennials grow in light shade.

You might try going to your local library and see if they have the Southern Living garden book series. They have sections by use.

Or, go to your local County Extension Service office and get some recommendations for what grows best in your area. They can probably recommend some local nurseries for you as well.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:58 AM   #3

Flowers under trees

One perennial that looks especially nice growing under (around) a tree is Hosta. It's not a shrub though.

The nice thing about them is that there is a HUGE variety of them to choose from. I have some that only get 10" wide by 5" high and others that are more than 4' wide by 3' high. They do very well in the shade.

If you do like downunder suggested, going to the library or county extension service, find out if Hosta's do well in your area.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Don't know it all, yet!

Flowers under trees

Quote:
find out if Hosta's do well in your area.
They do.

Georgia Certified Landscape Professional