Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Share |

Florida fire ants

These are everywhere in my new yard. My ankles got chewed up after 5 min walking around. There aren't any big hills, just numerous sandy spots.

Considered having a Lawn Service spray, then trying to maintain control myself. Why I hesitant is that I'm trying to encourage birds and they love to eat seed off the ground around feeders.

I'm thinking whatever would be sprayed for fire ants might not be healthy for birds. I figure the Lawn Co. would want the business and might not be the best source to ask this question.

The local Audubon Society might know the answer but they probably wouldn't care about my ankles.

any suggestions?

Last edited by Startingover; 04-24-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Florida fire ants

Try Ortho Orthene. When you open the lid, leave the paper cover over the top, and just poke a few small holes in it. Think "salt shaker." Dust the area around where the fire ants are comming in and out of the ground. Since you're not spraying the entire yard, you're probably not going to poison the food supply. It's the most effective product I've found.

Another possiblity you might consider is to put a catch pan above the ground, but under the feeder. Something like a garbage can lid may work. Then you won't have to worry about the seeds and the birds getting on a treated lawn.

LazyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LazyOne For This Useful Post:
Startingover (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 108

Florida fire ants

http://www.controlfireants.com/bait-treatments.htm
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Startingover (04-24-2012)