Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

floating walkway challenge

Hi all,
I have got myself an interesting problem in that I have to cross 30' of lake/cove water to access an acre of property. I also need to run my riding mower across the floating walkway and be able to swing this thing 90 degrees for a neighbors boat access. I was thinking 5' x 8' sections of floating dock using plastic barrels or poly floats tied together and anchored to my seawall with a heavy duty hinge. I am unsure how I would swing the walkway one way or the other and how I would deal with the wind wanting to push it open or closed. Any thoughts would be appreciated

fatnfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:35 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,126

I have seen it tried. Usually it is more heavy duty than you expect. The ones I saw used cables and piling to swing it whichever way they could. How many 5x8 sections do you plan to move?

Keep in mind you may have big problems with even a small breeze. "Sea wall" makes it sound like it opens onto unproteted, bigger water than a pond or small lake with no current.

It is an interesting challenge.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 06-19-2008 at 05:38 PM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Where is the opening section? How deep is the water?

Maybe it would be easiest to have posts on the seawall, and lower the first section of the dock with cables. Have a piece of diamond plate that gets flipped over onto the next section when the dock is lowered.

The floating sections will have to be anchored diagonally to some anchors (could simply be blocks of concrete that you've made, and embeded an eye in for attaching chain). Otherwise, they'll go all over the place, probably breaking free in a blow.

Is it possible to put the non-moving dock sections on the bottom? There are many dock systems sold for lakes, that simply set on the lake bottom, and hold the dock sections above the water. That way the dock doesn't get strained by wind and current as much, and will stay put. (this assumes that you don't get waves where you are.)

I'd think hard about the size of the floats, if you use floating platforms. A long 5' float is very wobbly, and it would be really nerve wracking to drive a lawn tractor over it. You could do that width if you used a fixed dock, but for floating, I don't think it will be very stable.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote