Floating Barrel Dock - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2005, 10:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Floating Barrel Dock

Looking to build a small dock/fishing platform for my small pond. Have access to plastic 55gal drums. Has anybody built such a thing?

Thanks

Advertisement

bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:43 AM   #2
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Floating Barrel Dock

I don't have time to reply tonight, it's really late. You're on the A list tomorrow.

Advertisement

Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:17 AM   #3

Floating Barrel Dock

Thanks, looking forward to a little advice.
bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:46 AM   #4
Contractor

Floating Barrel Dock

bruno, How small were you thinking? A min of 8ft in any direction is about it for drums, anything smaller will be tippy. You are going to have to determine how much weight that you want it to support, a 55 gal drum displaces about 450 lbs of water which is what it takes to sink one. Ideally you would want the drums at about 1/3 of capacity unloaded.
Construction is basically the same as framing a wall. Depending on the size, I use 2X10 or 2X12 for the perimeter and through bolt them to a 4X4 in each corner. Most of what I build are work floats and I leave about a foot of the 4by standing in each corner for something to tie up with. Frame inside of the box with 2X4's just like you would a wal. The 2 on the outsides, where the drums will go should be on 24" cents., then you can fill in the field on 16's or 24's.
Next cut some saddles to fit the drums, use the same material as the frame. Cut length is to fit between the frame and the 2X's on 24's. You can calculate the radius or make a template out of cardboard and keep trimming it until it fits the drum. There will be ribs on the drum, cut to fit on one side or the other of these ribs. Fasten the saddles to the frame, install the drums and retain them with plastic strapping (I use a banding machine that I borrow). Flip it over and install your decking. Voila! Floating dock/platform.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:29 AM   #5
aka:awesomedell

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via MSN to housedocs

Floating Barrel Dock

Teetor sounds like you might have built more than a few docks. Not much call for it here in the midwest except for the occassional lake home.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:24 PM   #6
Contractor

Floating Barrel Dock

hd, This is true. If I remember correctly, there a few lakes in MO.
Do any hunting? I'm always reading about the deer there, just never had the opportunity.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:38 AM   #7
aka:awesomedell

Send a message via MSN to housedocs

Floating Barrel Dock

Actually I don't hunt any more, used to go deer hunting every yr, but any more there's just way too many idiots in the woods with guns durng deer season. I still take my boys rabbit & squirrel hunting, but they've all gotten about big enough to go by themselves. We do a bit of fishing when time affords, unfortunately fishing season is also the busy season & I don't get to go near as often as when I was younger and worked for someone else.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #8

Floating Barrel Dock

I am an old engineer but have built several floating barrel docks. The largest one has now lasted over 15 years with essentially no maintainence. The key, form my standpoint is sealing the barrels and supporting them. I use GE silicone rubber clear and cover the bung completely as well as sealing the threads etc. I also remove the rubber gasket before sealing. I support the barrels in a steel frame either pipe or angle iron but wood will do well also as long as it does not deteriorate or move. The key is to keep the barrels secured and not moving. As far as bearing capacity, pure water weighs 8.33 pounds per gallon and the carring capacity of a barrel is this multiplied by the gallonage of the barrel. I am neglecting some very fine points such as barrel weight, water solid content etc. I try to limit my dock weight to 1/2 the barrel carrying capacity and find this works well. Good luck

Potato Chip
potato chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:00 PM   #9

Floating Barrel Dock

I am building s floating donk on 55 gal plastic drums. It will be 8'6" wide by 16'long. Using 3 drums per each side, my question is should there be any drums in the center going lengthwise for better support.
stevn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:11 PM   #10
BOB

Floating Barrel Dock

Are therse barrels mounted vertically or horizontal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetorbilt View Post
bruno, How small were you thinking? A min of 8ft in any direction is about it for drums, anything smaller will be tippy. You are going to have to determine how much weight that you want it to support, a 55 gal drum displaces about 450 lbs of water which is what it takes to sink one. Ideally you would want the drums at about 1/3 of capacity unloaded.
Construction is basically the same as framing a wall. Depending on the size, I use 2X10 or 2X12 for the perimeter and through bolt them to a 4X4 in each corner. Most of what I build are work floats and I leave about a foot of the 4by standing in each corner for something to tie up with. Frame inside of the box with 2X4's just like you would a wal. The 2 on the outsides, where the drums will go should be on 24" cents., then you can fill in the field on 16's or 24's.
Next cut some saddles to fit the drums, use the same material as the frame. Cut length is to fit between the frame and the 2X's on 24's. You can calculate the radius or make a template out of cardboard and keep trimming it until it fits the drum. There will be ribs on the drum, cut to fit on one side or the other of these ribs. Fasten the saddles to the frame, install the drums and retain them with plastic strapping (I use a banding machine that I borrow). Flip it over and install your decking. Voila! Floating dock/platform.
rbgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:21 AM   #11
so-elitecrete

Floating Barrel Dock

it was about 16x16 w/p/t 2x10 skirts & stringers 16" o/c w/X-bridging,,, hot-dipp'd galv lag & carriage bolts,,, 8 60gal apple juice pvc barrels allow'd it to float w/the deck elevation 14" above water,,, that's 12 yrs ago & its still out in front of the dock,,, never did 'tie' the barrels to the float as we left 'pockets' for them,,, did drag it onto shore prior to the lake freezing annually.

come to think of it, it was just pure guess if it'd work right or not,,, if it didn't, could've added more barrels along the ctr-line.
so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #12

Floating Barrel Dock

I read with a lot of interest the floating dock posts. Now I want to float a Gazebo. Can I assume I have to add the equivalent buoancy of the wieght two Gazebos? Does anyone know how I could calculate the weight? I would probably need to make the decking wider to make it more stable?

Eric
Eric Chalfont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #13
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,300

Floating Barrel Dock

Ayuh,......

You can float Anything you want Eric,......
In many places, Portland, Ore. comes to mind, there are Floating communities of Houses........
50 or 100 in a harbor......

Whatever you want to Float,.......Is covered by the basic rule, that every Gallon weighs 8.33lbs.(thanks potato chip)......
Every Gallon you displace will float that much weight.....

For a Gazebo I'd probably go with Steel Tubes, capped on the ends,.....
They'll give you some rigidity in 1 direction,+ your framing will carry the other.....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #14

Floating Barrel Dock

What type of wood could be used to deter rotting without endangering environment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetorbilt View Post
fhill5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:52 PM   #15

Floating Barrel Dock

This sounds like an excellent idea! What can I use nowawdays for wood that will last?
Quote:
Originally Posted by potato chip View Post
I am an old engineer but have built several floating barrel docks. The largest one has now lasted over 15 years with essentially no maintainence. The key, form my standpoint is sealing the barrels and supporting them. I use GE silicone rubber clear and cover the bung completely as well as sealing the threads etc. I also remove the rubber gasket before sealing. I support the barrels in a steel frame either pipe or angle iron but wood will do well also as long as it does not deteriorate or move. The key is to keep the barrels secured and not moving. As far as bearing capacity, pure water weighs 8.33 pounds per gallon and the carring capacity of a barrel is this multiplied by the gallonage of the barrel. I am neglecting some very fine points such as barrel weight, water solid content etc. I try to limit my dock weight to 1/2 the barrel carrying capacity and find this works well. Good luck

Potato Chip

Advertisement

fhill5 is offline   Reply With Quote