Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #1

Share |

Flat weed identification

I have a common weed in my yard that I have not been able to identify. It forms very low mats right on top of the soil (mower doesn't even come close to touching it), sometimes covering the area of a platter if left to itself. It has tiny dark green lobe shaped leaves and has a sticky white sap when broken.

It's not mallow or creeping charlie. It grows like purslane and often found growing mixed with purslane, but the stems are thin and the leaves are more blue-green and are smaller. Even though I can see soil around the leaves, grass simply won't grow near it. It displaces grass so well that I wonder if there is some chemical in it that kills grass.

I tried to photograph it this morning but it didn't come out well and we're getting rain now. I can try again after Irene passes, but I wonder if someone can make sense of my description. This weed is everywhere, but I don't know what it is called.

Last edited by Thunder Chicken; 08-27-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote