Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #1

Share |
Question

flagstone's

Is it possible to install patio flagstone over existing (in good shape) concrete patio?

harrydx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #2

flagstone's

I'm not saying it's right, but I did on my last house. We had an ugly cement pad and I glued down the flagstone with construction adhesive. I left spaces between and filled it with pea gravel. Ours drained because there were cracks in the cement.

Lived there for a year after doing it and didn't have any problems or regrets.

gtono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

flagstone's

I guess but remember you will be putting a stone material that will want to wobble from edge to edge, corner to corner over something that will not. You could end up with a lot of cracks.

I would think of building a retainer around the slab tall enough to allow putting down a sand layer base for the stone to sit on.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:57 PM   #4

flagstone's

yes, this is true, some of the flagstones cracked that were not on a level surface. I tried to position all so that there was no wobble, and I even shimmed some that were not level, but inevitably a few of the stones did crack.
gtono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

flagstone's

You know, there are a lot of really nice looking surfaces of varieties you cannot imagine, designed to go over outdoor concrete slabs. Why the passion for cut quarried stone in this?
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
harrydx (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #6

Question

flagstone's

Thank you,
What would be a few other choices to put down over a concrete patio, other than pavers or flagstones?
Harry
harrydx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

flagstone's

Now don't poo poo the idea until you see some in place on the web. I have specified a lot of rubber pavers for clients and they seem to like them. Most are made from recycled material (in case you are into green credits things) are easy to install, maintain and replace. Given the nature of the material they have some flex to them so will not crack like brick or ceramic pavers.

They feel great underfoot and are easier on those party margerita glasses than a hard material

You can get them in a rainbow of colors and any typical brick pattern as well as cobblestone and even radiant circle sorts of things. They also come in large 12x12 sort of patterns. Obviously this all might be a more formal look than you had in mind though?

It doesn't have to look cheezy if you find a good contractor/artisan but an epoxy pattern application can look nice. Like I say, there is a fine line between looking nice and looking ridiculous though. You can even embed small pebbles in the mix if you want a texture to the surface.

Exterior tile might be another possibility depending on where you are. Even with elasticized mortar such an outdoor floor would never hold up to the winters here.