Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Flagstone patio

I'm in the process of getting the large rocks out of my yard and makeing a patio out of them. I have most of them layed and was wondering what i could use for a grout between them. They are mostly large and flat, anywhere from 4 to 6 inches thick. I'm planning on putting sand in them to keep them solid, but just looking for ideas to give them a smoother surface that won't wash out with the rain, without using concrete as grout.

sedwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Flagstone patio

Don't use grout!! Use mortar maybe, but not grout.

My wife and I used crushed granite, sometimes called "decomposed granite" on our patio. It fills the cracks quite nicely, compresses and doesn't wash out. It also allows the patio to drain. We're very happy with it.

Randell Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
frozen peas & toothpicks

Rewards Points: 10

Flagstone patio

First, I recommend edging (either iron or plastic) that you can basically bury flush to the surface around your entire patio to prevent washouts thru/across it. Another nice use of edging is that it becomes the container for the "filler" you're looking for. I suggest any type of smaller stones as filler, from pea stone (which you can also get in different colors) to trap stone (up to 2") based on different sieve sized used to collect it. Stone and Stone will also seem more natural, than some mortar mix.
One last thought, the cheapest option might be gray gravel (though you run the risk of tracking that into a house) good luck and have fun!
dchaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #4

Flagstone patio

sorry, i was using grout as a metiphor, I don't want to put anything that would turn into a solid. The crushed rock sound like a pretty good idea. I was also told to put soil in the top part of it and grow moss in the cracks. Anyone have any ideas on that?
Old 04-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
frozen peas & toothpicks

Rewards Points: 10

Flagstone patio

Problem with moss or flowers is you might tear it up with use of any furniture or heavy traffic.

BUT, you could do spreading flowers such as flocks (phlocks?) or other low lying herbs/flowers.

I guess Moss would be fun to "make"

I found a moss recipe if you care to call it home grown
Moss (i'm guessing from a riverbed or woods?)
50% curdled buttermilk
50% stale beer (for me this is hard to allow to happen)

Blend until it's a workable liquid, and cover soil with mixture by pouring/sprinkling between patio stones.
Keep watering frequently.
expect results similar to growing new grass from seed, it may take a full year to fill in completely so be ready to deal with wet dirt.

Check this out
http://www.porch-and-patio-ideas.com...with-moss.html

Last edited by dchaban; 04-16-2008 at 02:08 PM.
dchaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:10 PM   #6

Flagstone patio

Thanks for the info, i may try that.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Flagstone patio

There are several varieties of SEDUM, a succulent, that will grow well and will take light foot traffic. They are quite hardy and spread easily. Some Sedums look very mosslike, but have none of the draw-backs.

http://www.sedumphotos.net/main.php

Randell Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote