Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #1

Share |

Flagstone over concrete patio

We are looking to upgrade our concrete slab patio in our backyard by doing flagstone over the top if it. It is approx 40'x20' with one small crack in the older portion. I have done some reading and looks like I will need 1"-2" thick pieces, sand, cement and water.

Is there a good step by step guide as to how to mix the sand/cement for the concrete base and for the mortar between the stones? What mixture should I use for each?

Any tips for breaking/cutting the stones to fit closely?

How long does it need to sit between steps and when all finished?

Do I need to seal the top with anything? We live in Reno, NV and have hot dry summers with winters that can get a few feet of snow and temps well below freezing.

Any help/tips would be very much appreciated

mikereno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #2

Also, anything I would need to do the current concrete slab to get the new stuff to stick better, besides a powerwash?

mikereno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #3

Not sure, I would be afraid of it "popping" off in the winter/spring. I have seen flagstone that way though just not sure if it was laid over existing. Good luck. Someone will know
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote