Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Flagstone Mishap?

Hi everyone, first time posting on the forum. I did a search for flagstone issues and couldn't seem to find one relevant to the challenge I'm having.

After tamping (machine, not hand) my flagstone down, most of them have shifted drastically and are now loose. Of course you guys can imagine my frustration after prepping and working on this project for the last three weekends.

Steps I followed:

- soil/gravel underneath
- 3 inches chips and dust over top
- wet chips and dust
- tamp
- layout and set flagstone
- level as necessary
- tamp

What did I do wrong? The only thing I can think of is that I should have set the flagstone before wetting the chips and dust.

If that's the case, do I remove the compost/soil mixture I've placed in between and rework the chips and dust as well as the flagstone?

Thank you!

FirstTimeDIY'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 0

Flagstone Mishap?

Quote:
- 3 inches chips and dust over top
Chips and dust?

RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 64

Flagstone Mishap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWolff View Post
Chips and dust?
Lets hope his version of "Chips and Dust" is gravel and sand

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 6

Flagstone Mishap?

Not sure about the chips and dust, but I have had very good experience with flagstone provided I was careful with the base. Typically I have used 12-18 inches of compacted sand underneath my flagstones, with a setting bed of a couple of inches of masons sand immediately under the flagstones. Same process for brick. We have had flagstone and brick walkways in place for 20 years at my house with no problems. We have also set stones in stone dust, that worked OK provided the stone dust was underlain by at least 12 inches of compacted sand. Not clear what you did, but my guess is the base was not adequate.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 64

Flagstone Mishap?

The base for stone is one of those things that taking short cuts does not work. First time I did a patio with pavers...1" of sand....looked fine the 1st few weeks....but that was about it....

The next time I did it....4" of small gravel...3" of sand....still looking perfect...but also note...I'm on adobe soil..pretty much rock hard if undisturbed...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote