Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Fixing My Front Yard - Weeds Compacted Soil

Hi Everyone,

I purchased my first house in June of last year. I never had any experience with lawncare except mowing for my dad in exchange for allowance

The house was unoccupied and on the market for about six months before I purchased it. While the previous homeowner had someone come by and mow every week, it was obvious from the start that no other upkeep was being done.

On top of this, right before the previous owner moved out, their sewer line collapsed and was replaced. This left a strip of dirt about 3 feet wide in the front yard. It was not re-seeded.

Last summer I did what I could - I cut back some plants, shrubs, etc. I sprayed Bug B Gone a few times (the yard was REALLY buggy). Other than that, I just mowed. However, now that I'm a year in, its time to start bringing this lawn back to life.

The back yard is actually in decent shape - I just need to fertilize, seed and water. The front yard is a mess however due to the strip that was unseeded. While last summer it just stayed mostly dirt, this year has brought me a horrible patchwork of weeds. Some really wierd looking purple ones too - very frail (thin) looking purple stuff.

I sprayed Bayer Advanced Weed and Crabgrass killer, but it did absolutely nothing. I was going to try Othro Weed B Gone Max & Crabgrass this weekend. My last resort is to RoundUp the whole strip. What would you guys recommend?

Setzer1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 258

If you know that while strip is weeds and you just plan on spraying that area, just use the round up, wait a week and reseed.

Or at least that's what I'd do

MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

As soon as I posted, thinking about it more it sounds like a good idea.

Roundup the whole strip, wait a week, drop some topsoil and start seeding.
Setzer1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

How big is the frontyard overall? You might be best off spraying the weeds and rototilling everything and starting over. Have it hydroseeded if you can swing it.

The thing that concerns me is that you mentioned compaction and if they dug for a sewer line there is more heavily compacted than the 3 foot strip you are seeing. Starting over could do wonders.

Otherwise now is a great time to buy turfseed because you can get it in bulk and make exactly the blend you want.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

If you can rent a core aerator, do the above weed removal, aerate the heck out of the compacted area, rake up and put down about a 1/4" of compost, overseed and water.

If your soil is poor, tilling up everything and working in some organic matter might be the better way to go. Grass doesn't take well in hard compacted dirt (like the stuff in my backyard )
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote