Fixing Dead Spots On A Hill - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Still Learnin'

Rewards Points: 10

Fixing dead spots on a hill

I recently bought a new construction house in Atlanta that is on a steep hill. Due to a flooding incident involving my new neighbor downhill from my house, as I was closing on it the builder had French drains installed on the sides and back of my house. Unfortunately, these were installed in JulyÖ in GeorgiaÖ in a month we got very little rainÖ at a vacant property where no one could water it. Needless to say, the grass died before I had a chance to move in and begin watering it. This was last summer.

Last fall, I tried putting grass seed down, but I was lazy and didnít cover it (I did put the turf builder pellets around it, but it didnít seem to do anything). Lately, enough of the ground has washed away where the grass didnít take that parts of the black pipe are visible.

What is the best way to fix this problem? Should I put down grass seed and cover it with soil or dirt? Should I put sod down in the fall and actually water it, as opposed to going with grass seed?

Right now I have been putting grass clippings on the bare spots to prevent further erosion, and it seems to have helped a good bit, with some of the grass roots starting to spread into it. Maybe thatís the best way to go?

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

HitFan is offline   Reply With Quote