DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Firepit "base" Questions

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  joecaption 
#1 ·
Hello,

First time posting here...great/helpful site. Hoping to get some help with a firepit, and not come off sounding like a complete dummy :)

So...we just had a round firepit put in, and it's great, but the base/floor is poured concrete. It has some small areas where it doesn't butt up to the wall (so I assume drainage could happen in these spots), but I'm concerned that putting wood directly onto the concrete would be bad, i.e. cracked concrete.

I was wondering if it's smart to put a layer or sand/gravel/rock on top of this concrete, or is it safe to leave as-is?

I also have a metal grate that fits inside perfectly, and is about 5-6 inches off the ground. If we use the grate, is it still smart to put some sort of sand/gravel/rock down?

Any input would be appreciated!!

#2 ·
Ayuh,.... Sand or dirt is fine to protect the bottom, a couple inches is more than enough,....
Once it's in use, just leavin' a layer of ashes after a clean out is fine too,...

Ya need holes in the lower areas, not only for rain drainage, but fires need a draft to burn proper, 'n cleanly,...

I've got a firepit on my concrete waterfront patio,...
It's just a steel ring set on the bricks of an ole chimney I tore down,...
One layer of bricks for protectin' the concrete under it, 'n another 5 or 6 bricks to hold the ring a couple inches off the bricks,...
Not the best shot, but you can see it in the lower right corner of this pic,...

#3 ·
From what I understand (I'm not an expert), it's metal inside the concrete that causes problems due to expansion/contraction. Even then, it's got to get hot all the way to the metal. If your slab is not reinforced with steel, I don't think you'll have any problems.

We have a pit on our concrete paver patio which is made of concrete retaining wall blocks. I've had some pretty good fires in it without a problem. It started with a layer of sand, but that's long gone now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.