Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
DIY Homeowner

Share |

Firepit

E have a firepit in the ground, but what I want to do is build a circular block surround around it , probaby one to two feet high, I plan to get the blocks from home depot and cement them together.
Do I have to put fire proof barrier in between the blocks and the pit.
And if so, where would I get the barrier??
Also, any good websites to show an easy way to do this??
Thanks, Barry

Barry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:10 AM   #2

Firepit

first, try a belguard stone dealer if you have one in oyur area. they have a supeiror product that is more pleasing to the eye and more choices
second, dont mortar the blocks together...use polymeric sand. save your back and your wallet, and get a really nice looking walking surface THAT WONT CRACK. if your talking about the walls of the firepit, look at the belguard again, they have premade designs with premade liners of steel. still of under what youll pat for the home depot version.
if your dedset on doing it oldschool, again dont use pavestone. if your going to use anything go with natural standstone if you can. do NOT use any heavy crystular stone (i.e. granite or feldspar) because this stone contains water and gasses that naturally expand when heated and the stones will "pop open". you will have to mortar these together and type N is what you will use. you do not need firebrick for sandstone but you will for eveything else.

make sure your pit drains water...

stoneworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #3

Firepit

Are you talking about cinder blocks? If so, you'd want to line them with fire brick....you might also consider buying a a cheap metal fire pit and place the dish inside the pit....this way you don't actually expose the block to heat. I've done this with wall block and it looks nice too.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
DIY Homeowner

Firepit

What I have now is a hollowed out mack truck rim in the ground, but I wanted to build a little wall around it to make it look better and keep some of the burning wood from getting on the grass.
I was not thinking about cinder block, more like the landscaping block you see in the home depot garden dept
Barry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
It's always something

Firepit

You shouldn't need any kind of barrier. Simply stack the blocks like you want them. I'd make no more than knee-high. Make sure to have at least 1/2" of spacing between the bottom row of blocks though for ventilation and water drainage. Plus, I personally wouldn't cement them together.

Edit: When I say 'no barrier' I was thinking of something totally different. You'll want to line the inside with firebrick like cibula11 said. Sorry about that.

Last edited by SingleGuy; 03-22-2012 at 02:58 PM.
SingleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #6

Firepit

I would just stack them, no need to cement them.
pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
It's always something

Firepit

Check out this thread: Stone Veneer Firepit

SingleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote