Fire Pit On Paver Patio - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 87

Fire pit on paver patio

Hello, quick question. I am building a paver patio with a fire pit. Should the fire pit's surround block be placed on the gravel base or on top of the pavers?

Thanks!

Advertisement

andybeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

Fire pit on paver patio

Is it going to be wood burning or gas? If wood, put it on gravel and fill the inside few inches with gravel to help with drainage in the event you use water to extinguish your fire or when it rains.

Advertisement

brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #3

Fire pit on paver patio

Thanks for your help, it is going to be a 36x36 wood burning pit. I had read on other sites that I can fill it with sand also. Do you recommend gravel opposed to sand?

I bought the block from Menards and I forgot to ask if it would stand up to the heat. Do you think I will have any issues with it immediately or over time? I am also using landscaping adhesive to glue the blocks together. I guess the same question would apply to the adhesive. Here is a link to the block if it helps. It does not say anything about heat resistance.

http://www.menards.com/main/building...596-c-5787.htm

Thanks again!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

Fire pit on paver patio

That block should be fine. It will break down overtime due to the rapid heat and cooling cycles that it will be put thru. You can put a metal fire ring on the inside or you can mortar in fire blocks with a refractory mortar. I'm doing about the same thing and I'm definitely going to use gravel as opposed to sand. I dont know much about the adhesive. I'd make sure that its high heat rated. you dont want that stuff cooking and throwing of noxious fumes.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #5

Fire pit on paver patio

I'll try to post a pic when done.

Andy
Old 05-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

Fire pit on paver patio

Simply put, without even clicking on the link, I can tell you that the block are going to succumb to the heat and fail far faster than you expect.............
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
Canarywood1 (06-18-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #7

Fire pit on paver patio

Do you have a suggestion to go with that comment?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Fire pit on paver patio

My brother has big fires in his metal fire pit on a wood deck. I thought he was crazy but after the fire was burning for hours I felt the wood deck and it was not even warm. Very little heat will make it to the stones and certainly not enough to do any damage.

Edit - unless you meant the fire pit is actually made of the stone. That may be a problem.
Troy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #9
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,262

Fire pit on paver patio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy32 View Post
My brother has big fires in his metal fire pit on a wood deck. I thought he was crazy but after the fire was burning for hours I felt the wood deck and it was not even warm. Very little heat will make it to the stones and certainly not enough to do any damage.

Edit - unless you meant the fire pit is actually made of the stone. That may be a problem.
Ayuh,.... My firepit is nothin' but a steel ring, 3' around, 18" tall, settin' up on 6 ole chimney bricks, sittin' on a pad, slightly larger in diameter, of the same ole chimney bricks, on an ole concrete deck...

Ashes from the wood build quite fast, 'n help insulate the bricks,...
I'm moved the whole thing a few times in the last 7 years, 'n there's never any sign of heat to the concrete deck,...
only abit of black ash,...
When that 3/8" thick steel ring is Red Hot, I doubt the concrete is more than a couple hundred degrees above ambient temps...
Heat Rises,... it's hard to push it down....

I'd think a couple inches of gravel would supply 'bout the same protection as my bricks,...

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote