Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #1

Share |

Fire Pit Installation

Hello, I am having a stamped concrete patio poured this weekend and am having a 5 foot diamter opening left in the concrete so that I can incorporate a fire pit into the patio. I plan on digging down 12 inches and putting in gravel and sand but am nervous about the concrete cracking at the opening in the concrete. My plan is to install sand and gravel up to the lip of the concrete and then place place fire bricks at the base. How will water drain? Should I install the landscaping blocks inside the pit or on top of the stamped patio? How do I make this look clean and worried about a gap between the block and stamped concrete. Please Help

droopyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
Solutions (handyman)

Fire Pit Installation

I went down about two feet and put a drain from the bottom of the pit out to a lower location. I know this can only be done if you are on a hill, but if you also have a good soil (not clay or rock) any excess water would drain away. I filled the pit with about ten inches of coarse gravel and covered this with a metal grate. The cement around my pit has stood up quite well but I have noticed a few hairline cracks. On the ground level I will be adding patio block (decorative brickwork) around the perimeter. If they done hold up, I can simply replace them. The cracking of cement is natural unless you have a special mix meant for high heat. But, hey, it's a fire pit. Make it look nice and have it functonal, that's the primary objective, isn't it? Good luck.

Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote