Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
F-16 DIYer

Share |

Fire ant-free kid's play area

I'm down here on the panhandle of Florida near the coast, and fire ants rule the ground. My yard is a pretty healthy mixture of St Augustine grass and whatever else wants to grow with it, and I have fire ants. I treat with bait on a regular basis which always kills the hill by the next day but more often than not just moves it somewhere else. Despite the (comparably) few hills that I have sprout, walking around in bare feet is a no-no because you are almost guaranteed to get a nibble from one or two of them.

What I'm trying to accomplish is an area where my kids can play and get dirty and whatever else outside in the yard. I'm building them a swingset contraption and would love to put it in a spot where they can go to town without coming back in with welts. Has anyone down here accomplished this? I was thinking, and this is not based on any kind of experience, about maybe digging down a foot or so, removing the dirt, lining the area with something, filling it with topsoil or whatever ants don't like, building a small retaining wall and finish off with mulch or pine straw.

Anyone suggestions from those who know what they're doing?

qslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #2

did a quick search and found this...

http://gardening.yardener.com/Preven...Ants-Next-Year

seems they don't like sand or pea gravel...good luck.

Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #3

Never had any personal experience, but my gut tells me that a raised area outlined in landscape timbers and lined with fabric, filled with rubber mulch is a pretty solid idea.
NegativeTen is offline   Reply With Quote