Finishing Paver Patio - What Sand? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

finishing paver patio - what sand?

I just completed a paver patio with rectange and square pavers. It is all in and I have put the sand over it to sweep it in to seal it. The person who helped me has put in patios and said to just use the sand I had from the base and spread and sweep it in a few times and water it down and it will go into the seams to seal the bricks into place. The problem is I think the sand is too coarse because little pebbles from the sand are blocking sand from getting into the cracks. What type of sand should I use? Do I need to make sure to get all those little pebbles out before I sand and sweep it again? It is about 150 sq ft. total. Also when the sand is all in and solid, do I want to sweep hard to make sure it is solid and do I seal it with waterproof or just keep it the way it is?
Need help fast please. I have pics and you can see the bigger pebles with the holes in the seams.
Thanks,

Advertisement

H.O.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

The sweeping of sand in the cracks just help lock the blocks together. I've actually installed patios with friends and they did not put sand over the top after and let nature do it for them (dust & dirt). Been a few years now and the patio still looks the same as when we installed it. So, don't fret, sweep it around for a while, have a few cold ones while you do it, and then clean it up...

I've never heard of sealing patio blocks...

Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,134

For a patio, you can just do it quick and easy way. That is avery forgiving application.

If it was a driveway or street, you should use fine sand (masonry/mortar sand) and vibrate with plate compactor to force the sand up and down into the joints for a better interlock and also to even out the finished patio surface.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote