Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Finalizing Backapyard plans Need Help!

Good afternoon all. I've just cleared my 72' x 50' backyard and I'm ready to start fresh. My plans include a pergola, belgard flagstone patio and walkway and new deck/steps/entryway into the home. I want to make sure my sequence sounds right as well as pose a couple of questions along the way.

First, Im planning on re-doing the irrigation system in order to put beds and hedges in new locations.

Second, the patio is going to be aprox 425 square feet. I need to excavate aprox 12 cubic yards of dirt prior to installing. Question is, should I have the dirt hauled off or spread it throughout te rest of the yard? if my calculations are correct, it would add aprox 1.75'' to 2" of soil to the rest of the yard.

After the excavation, I'm going to install the pergola, run the electrical to it and then the flagstone.

I'm trying to make sure everything is planned out correctly to minimize error. Measure twice, cut once!

Thanks!

Last edited by Captainjz16; 05-23-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Captainjz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

First thing you should do is have any underground utilities located.

Then, I would scale your yard to paper or into one of the programs out there for such things. It will make it a lot easier to visualize things, fit elements, and all.

Unless you are planning turf, you should be able to do the rest of the landscaping with drip irrigation. So, for now, you really just have to run what water supply lines you will want underground. If your new landscape calls for turf, now would be the time to layout those systems and watering circuits too of course. Will the valves be remote or central up by the house?

Now would be the time to run any low voltage wiring (or PVC as conduit for adding it later) for landscape lighting if in your plans too. Any water features in your planning now or in the future? And it is often handy to have a hose bib out in the yard where you can tap it without dragging 100 feet of hose. Capped off gas line for a future fire pit, barbecue or other fire feature? In essence, think of everything you might want later that needs components buried now.

Any drainage concerns that need to be addressed?

I would not be anxious to haul off decent topsoil. You may want some raised planters or something at a later point and need it back.

Pergola construction would make sense as your next project.

Then finish grade and put down your patio surface.

You might want to update your profile with basic geographic information.

Last edited by user1007; 05-24-2013 at 08:20 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

sdsester,

thanks for the response. We've already had the backyard designed and drawn to scale and hopefully the utilities will be marked in the next few days.

Sounds like I'm on track with your suggestions. Just trying to think ahead and have all the lines run beforehand.
Captainjz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 556

First thing I do is a birds eye view drawing of the area, then go from there.
Also, consider the view from inside the house -- as far as planning where to place things.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote