Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2011, 05:09 AM   #1

Share |

Filling a sinkhole

I have a very large sinkhole at the very front of my house. I'm thinking about filling it with gravel and covering with topsoil. Any better ideas that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

Beozeo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #2

Filling a sinkhole

What is it from? Prior digging, water leak, or do you live in Florida

Mrdippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:51 AM   #3

Filling a sinkhole

It was caused by a water leak I am pretty sure.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:14 AM   #4
DIY staff

Filling a sinkhole

If the leak is gone ---just use soil--having gravel under the soil will change the drainage and may lead to a dry patch in the lawn.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
Engineering Technologist

Filling a sinkhole

Do you live in a city limits? Is the sink hole in the tree lawn? Was the water leak fixed? If the answer to all of these questions are "yes" then it's just the excavation backfill settling. You will probably have to fill it a couple of times before it stops settling. Just use dirt.
runoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:36 AM   #6

Angry

Filling a sinkhole

This hole is about the size, and shape of a living room. House is 50+ years old. Not caused by settling. Pretty sure a water leak. But fill dirt will probably work, just going to take a lot of it!
Old 10-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #7

Filling a sinkhole

wait for the soil to become semi dry if possible then bring in fill dirt and use a plate compactor to make sure you got a good foundation. Then the last 12'' be a little less aggressive with the compacting.

If the amount of soil being used is going to be a problem for you financially I would contact a hauling/grading company and see if they can drop off a load at your place. It might cost you a little bit but it will be much cheaper than calling a supply store considering most mauling companies pay dumping fees for the soil.

Or if you live in a city where pools are installed on a regular basis--drive around. Find someone digging nearby and offer them $50 or whatever to drop it off at your place. It's worked for me multiple times.
lendosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
Tileguy

Filling a sinkhole

Contact your city governement first then your city Parks Department. They may have material they would donate to you if you pay the transportation. That could save a few dollars. If that doesn't work contact new home builders and see if they can help you.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote