DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Filling a sinkhole

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Bud Cline 
#1 ·
I have a very large sinkhole at the very front of my house. I'm thinking about filling it with gravel and covering with topsoil. Any better ideas that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

#5 ·
filling a sinkhole

Do you live in a city limits? Is the sink hole in the tree lawn? Was the water leak fixed? If the answer to all of these questions are "yes" then it's just the excavation backfill settling. You will probably have to fill it a couple of times before it stops settling. Just use dirt.

#7 ·
wait for the soil to become semi dry if possible then bring in fill dirt and use a plate compactor to make sure you got a good foundation. Then the last 12'' be a little less aggressive with the compacting.

If the amount of soil being used is going to be a problem for you financially I would contact a hauling/grading company and see if they can drop off a load at your place. It might cost you a little bit but it will be much cheaper than calling a supply store considering most mauling companies pay dumping fees for the soil.

Or if you live in a city where pools are installed on a regular basis--drive around. Find someone digging nearby and offer them $50 or whatever to drop it off at your place. It's worked for me multiple times.

#8 ·
Contact your city governement first then your city Parks Department. They may have material they would donate to you if you pay the transportation. That could save a few dollars. If that doesn't work contact new home builders and see if they can help you.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.