Filling A Pit To Create A Concrete Pad - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Filling a Pit to Create a Concrete Pad

I have a concrete pit in an area of my patio. It is about 8' by 10' and about 3' deep. It had a self-contained hot tub in it until pack rats set up housekeeping underneath the hot tub and destroyed all the wiring.

I've removed the hot tub unit from the pit.

The patio surrounding the pit is flag stone. There is a 220V service in to bottom of the pit

Now I want to, as economically as possible, bring that electric service up to patio level, and fill in the pit making the surface a decorative concrete flush with the flagstone patio.

Can anyone advise me as to some ways of filling the pit and creating a firm, level foundation for the concrete pad?

Thanks,
Tenacboy

Advertisement

tenacboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Filling a Pit to Create a Concrete Pad

Why keep the wiring are you going to place another hot tub on the pad?

I would fill the hole with dirt (not top soil), tamping after every 6 inches of fill. The last 4 inches under your slab treat like a regular sub-base with compactable crushed limestone (or just fill the whole thing with the crushed stone) and finally pour your concrete. You want some mesh or rebar in your slab too. The big box stores sell the texturing materials and coloring. There are not too many short cuts to getting a slab that will stay flat and last.

Best wishes,

Steve

Advertisement

sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote