Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #1

Share |

Filling a huge stump hole

I just had the stump of a birch tree ground out and the hole that remains is easily 5' in diameter and about 10" deep. They raked the woodchips back into the hole but I'm wondering if I would be better off filling it with something more stable like dirt? This is dead center in the middle of my front yard so I want it to look decent. Any suggestions?

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:56 AM   #2

I'm thinking pull out the chips (could maybe use them as mulch somewhere)and fill with topsoil. There probably is also remaining unground stump/roots below this level that will decay and settle so you might need to fill in a little more in a few years.

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymgmt View Post
I just had the stump of a birch tree ground out and the hole that remains is easily 5' in diameter and about 10" deep. They raked the woodchips back into the hole but I'm wondering if I would be better off filling it with something more stable like dirt? This is dead center in the middle of my front yard so I want it to look decent. Any suggestions?
Dig out chips and fill with fill dirt...compact.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote