DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Landscaping & Lawn Care (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/)
-   -   fill over wood chips? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/fill-over-wood-chips-155112/)

Amateuralex 08-28-2012 01:00 PM

fill over wood chips?
 
Howdy folks. We had a big pine removed, and they left a fair amount (half a cubic yard?) of wood chips where it was. The tree sat in a depression, and now we want to fill it in and grass it over. Probably 2 cubic yards of soil required for that. Can we just dump soil right on top of the wood chips? Is there some problem I am not forseeing?

DrHicks 08-28-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amateuralex (Post 998394)
Howdy folks. We had a big pine removed, and they left a fair amount (half a cubic yard?) of wood chips where it was. The tree sat in a depression, and now we want to fill it in and grass it over. Probably 2 cubic yards of soil required for that. Can we just dump soil right on top of the wood chips? Is there some problem I am not forseeing?

Spread the mulch out a lot before covering over it, because it will decompose. Also, the soil itself will settle quite a bit. So plan on adding more soil next spring.

Amateuralex 08-28-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHicks (Post 998419)
Spread the mulch out a lot before covering over it, because it will decompose. Also, the soil itself will settle quite a bit. So plan on adding more soil next spring.

OK cool, so it's just a bit of settling to worry about, perfect, thanks a ton.

user1007 08-30-2012 02:03 PM

The decomposing material will draw nitrogen from the soil and plants for the process so plan on compensating for that. You need to monitor Ph as well.

And plan on settling for years to come if this was a large old tree.

chrisn 08-30-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdsester (Post 999919)
The decomposing material will draw nitrogen from the soil and plants for the process so plan on compensating for that. You need to monitor Ph as well.

And plan on settling for years to come if this was a large old tree.



many of them:yes:

notmrjohn 08-30-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisn (Post 1000006)
many of them:yes:

And some more after that. I Have um come back and rake it out, or you rake it out and use it for mulch and save th3 or 4 bucks a bag.

chrisn 08-31-2012 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notmrjohn (Post 1000168)
And some more after that. I Have um come back and rake it out, or you rake it out and use it for mulch and save th3 or 4 bucks a bag.

raking out the chips would be the way to go:thumbsup:

user1007 08-31-2012 05:25 AM

But you will only get as much as the stump grinder chewed up. You will still get settling for years to come.

chrisn 08-31-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdsester (Post 1000311)
But you will only get as much as the stump grinder chewed up. You will still get settling for years to come.



very true:yes:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved