Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #1

Share |

Fill Dirt in Alabama

Over the years I have ordered quite a bit of fill dirt for different reasons. I am never quite sure of exactly how much dirt I am receiving regardless of what I order. I have ordered the same about of yards but the amount delivered differs. Is there any way to better know how much dirt I am getting. I hate to say it but people do lie. Shocker. Some measure it in yards, tons and say the size of the dump truck is the measurement. Thanks

luggage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Fill Dirt in Alabama

In the commercial world, fill material is often measured by the truckload. Soil is generally delivered in a dump truck type of arrangement, and the inside measurements of the truck are easy to make with a tape measure. Once the soil is dumped on the ground, it is much more difficult to measure its exact volume, since it rarely takes a convenient shape. Once you know the inside measurements of the truck, it is a relatively simple matter to check each truckload as it arrives. Or you can trust the company that delivers the soil to give you an honest measure. I think we know where you stand on that.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote