Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Field Stone and Mortar Wall, will it be stable?

I built a small 2 meter by 1.2 m raised garden bed, it is .7 m in height. I plan to fill it with gardening soil and move a bunch of raspberry bushes into it (with a bamboo lattice). Hopefully the raspberries will be easy to harvest and will stay contained in the raised bed instead of spreading through the yard.

That's a poor picture but you get the idea. I built the thing over the course of a Sunday from field stone and two bags of mortar cement. It has no base, I just cleared out the grass and the entire thing rests on dirt. Will it be strong enough to contain the three or so cubic meters of dirt dirt and not collapse or explode from hydraulic pressure?

If I were following proper procedure I probably should have first built a base... I know. Altogether though if a field stone + mortar wall holds up it's quite a value. The stone was free and the two bags of mortar cement cost $8 total. That's as much as just nine or ten stacking blocks at home depot! Any resources on how to build with field stone for future reference, so I build future projects properly??

EDIT: In the future, if I build any more such field stone projects, I think I will cap the top layer off with a more expensive nice looking stone. If this works it will give rustic but nice look at much lower cost than using prefab concrete block or pre-cut stone from HD.

Last edited by NorskeDiv; 07-14-2011 at 07:35 AM.
NorskeDiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
DIY staff

Does it freeze and thaw where you live?

That doesn't look very substantial--however---it's done and you don't have a lot of money into it---
so , filler er' up! See how she works.---Mike---
Old 07-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Does it freeze and thaw where you live?

That doesn't look very substantial--however---it's done and you don't have a lot of money into it---
so , filler er' up! See how she works.---Mike---
Yeah, it freezes a few times a year. Sounds like you at least think it has a chance of staying together, so I guess it's worth a try!
NorskeDiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
DIY staff

I like the rustic look---my own attempts at masonry have been rather humble---It's an art to lay stone well.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #5

For $8 you have what you have! For what it's worth I think it's surprisingly attractive. I could wish you'd poured a footer. :-) It won't stand the test of time, but for now you've got a real bargain. You might consider a peat/topsoil/mulch mix from your local landscaping store.. It's a lighter-weighing fill and great for gardens.
Minich is offline   Reply With Quote