Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2009, 09:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

From fescue to Bermuda

I'm located in North Georgia, just a few minutes south of the TN state line. I have one year old lawn (2acre) that was sown with fescue last September. During this past spring, the lawn did very nice. However, during the summer, the fescue seemed to die out. I couldn't keep enough water on it. I know fescue is a cool weather grass and isn't very drought tolerant.

Bermuda is a better choice for this area. What steps should I take to reseed using bermuda for it to properly take over the fescue? Should I spray and kill out the fescue or will the aggressiveness of the burmuda be enough to take over? When should I plan to overseed with berumda?

Thanks!

Chris
poolecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

From fescue to Bermuda

I don't know that I could say bermuda is a 'better' choice for your/our area. I'm in west Atlanta.

Two questions:
1. Do you just want bermuda for the sake of bermuda?
2. Do you know why the fescue failed? I have seen many very nice fescue yards in this area. They do stress out in the heat of summer, but it's in the 90's even in Chicago and New York.

Frankly, I have a little concern on your watering. Just a guess, but... Could you elaborate on what you mean by "I couldn't keep enough water on it?" Before replacing the lawn, I would try to find out what caused it to fail. I would hate to see another lawn have the same results if there are some other problems.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #3

From fescue to Bermuda

The fescue lawn did great in the spring, but as soon as summer rolled around, it turned brown, even with normal watering. I didn't over-water. I would actually prefer to keep the fescue over bermuda, but I thought about going to bermuda just because its more sun and heat tolorent.

It may be that I didn't start watering in time. Maybe I could have been a little more proactive instead of reactive.

If I keep the fescue, then itsn't now the time to over-seed?

Oh yeah, thanks for the reply.

Chris
Old 09-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

From fescue to Bermuda

No, no... tell us what you used to water it, for how long did you water it, how often per day pr per week, what time of day, how many inches did you put down or do you have any idea of how many inches you put down?

I think that's what downunder was asking because there is a concern there if you're not up on your watering system and requirements. Did you fertilize? What's your mowing procedure? how high is the blade?
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
Fixer-'til-broker

Rewards Points: 250

From fescue to Bermuda

I'm in Arizona and I planted (sowed?) blue fescue from seed in 114*+ dry sunshine. The only problem I had aside from the water bill was birds eating it. I quit watering it and it's still green and about 6-7" in the spots the doves didn't get to. It is more drought-tolerant than a lot of the native plants I planted after the last frost.

Be careful of the commercial compost and mulch. Apparently, a lot of brands are contaminated. I used organic, and am attempting to make my own now.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #6

From fescue to Bermuda

Like I said, I think i was more reactive with my watering. I didn't get a watering plan going until it was probably too late. But to answer you questions...I would water for a couple hours every other evening. Due to water restrictions, I probably watered 3 days per week.

My plan now is to stick with the fescue, but to do a better job at watering. I'm now focusing on what to do now (overseeding, fertilizing) to ensure a nice lawn come next spring and summer time.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
No, no... tell us what you used to water it, for how long did you water it, how often per day pr per week, what time of day, how many inches did you put down or do you have any idea of how many inches you put down?

I think that's what downunder was asking because there is a concern there if you're not up on your watering system and requirements. Did you fertilize? What's your mowing procedure? how high is the blade?

Chris
Old 09-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

From fescue to Bermuda

OK well it seems you are doing what you can about watering so that's not the problem...there remains to have a look at your mowing technique and fertilisation.

If all else fails, you might just have to reseed and acknowledge that you may just have a lawn in that no-mans land near where you live where it's too hot for cool-season grasses (like Kentucky) and too cool for hot-season grasses (like bermuda) and whichever seed is down now will probabaly die off in a few years (requiring reseeding).

But let's hope it'll sort itself out in a few weeks.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote