Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #1

Share |

Fertilizing with dogs

I've never fertilized before, so I'm curious how to do it, and when to do it. I also have dogs, so I always figured I shouldn't do it.

My lawn isn't dead or anything, my roommate noticed our neighbors lawn is more green and not as hard on the feet. He fertilizes and waters his lawn alot. Only thing I have an issue's with my lawn is the side of my house had lawn but due to shade issues and rain, it's just dirt now, and some parts of the lawn grow faster than the rest.

Dinggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #2

Fertilizing with dogs

I'm not so sure the dogs will like it if you try and use them for fertilizer.
Quote: "Fertilizing with dogs".
First thing I would do is have the soil tested to see what it needs, not just start throwing chemical at it hoping for the best.
Might also want to take a look at the Scotts web site, there's lots of useful info on there about lawns.

RWolff (07-10-2013), Wandererone (09-08-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #3

Fertilizing with dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
First thing I would do is have the soil tested to see what it needs, not just start throwing chemical at it hoping for the best.
Might also want to take a look at the Scotts web site, there's lots of useful info on there about lawns.
How do I go about testing it?
Dinggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Architectural Sculptor

Fertilizing with dogs

There are many fertilizers that are not dangerous, the ones not containing herbicides or pesticides will not harm pets or children. To ensure that no contact is possible water the heck out of your lawn after applying or keep the dogs off it till it's gone after rain or something.

The fertilizers containing dangerous chemicals are usually clearly stated, they give instructions on how to warn others and time limits before children and pets can be allowed on the grass again.

I'm not a fan of spreading toxic chemicals and stuff on lawns, especially if one has pets or kids, with cancers so common in dogs and the fact they are exposed to many chemicals and toxic stuff applied to the lawn or contained in carpeting as well as outgassing from particleboard suggests this exposure is a major contributing factor. You can add in pesticides of all kinds as well, both sprayed in the yeard and applied to the dog.

Just because your dog doesn't drop dead after walking across the lawn doesn't mean the chemicals are not harming him, also don't forget that most dogs love to EAT grass and then throw up, if the grass has chemicals on it the dog is getting this.

You might look at an organic fertilizer that is safe for children and pets, this link might be a starting point:

http://www.cleanairgardening.com/fertilizer.html

Last edited by RWolff; 07-10-2013 at 03:46 PM.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RWolff For This Useful Post:
Dinggus (07-11-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Fertilizing with dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I'm not so sure the dogs will like it if you try and use them for fertilizer.
Quote: "Fertilizing with dogs".

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #6

Fertilizing with dogs

Your local county extension office can advise you on soil testing. Follow this link to find the extension office for your county. You may have to type it directly into your browser. Call them to find out their procedures.
www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

This is how it works in my county:
Use a clean pail and shovel. When the soil is not too hard to dig into, take a shovel and dig a slice of your yard/lawn 4-6" deep in a few areas. Put the samples into the bucket. Remove rocks and vegetation. Mix the samples together and take it to the extension office. (You may want to put the samples into a clean bag or container.)
At the extension office, the soil will be put into a paper soil bag. You will need to tell them what type of lawn you would like to have (bermuda, zoysia, St. Augustine, centipede, etc.) It will be sent to a state university that has an agricultural department with a lab. The soil will be analyzed and the results will be mailed or emailed to you. The local office will help you interpret the results. There is a fee of probably about $10...plus or minus a little. :clover

sthomas323 is offline   Reply With Quote