Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2008, 09:01 PM   #1

Share |

fertilizer fleecing?

My lawn was fertilized by a company out of the phone book(middle of 3 bids). The first application went well, I was present and weeds where gone and grass greened up nicely. Second application was done at 1:30 PM on a 90 degree humid day and supposedly weed killer and fertilizer(granular) where used (I was not present). 90 bucks for 18k sq ft and he used 75 lbs of granular pellet fertilizer. Receipt left in my mail box.

Problem is I scoured the lawn the same day (it did not rain), shady sides of my 30 ft spruces, other brown grassless patches amoungst my lawn and I could not see any of the pellets I would expect to see following an application.

Weed killer was also used supposedly and the little markers I collected and left for him to reuse from the last time where all removed and no 24 hour markers where left on my lot line as per State Regulations.

We have had large amounts of rain and my lawn looks good but I wonder if I was taken. I casually asked uncomfortable to confront him " I did not see the white pellets" and he said "I put it down". Thanks Bruce
Wisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

fertilizer fleecing?

Quote:
We have had large amounts of rain and my lawn looks good
Without any further information as to what type of lawn you have and where you are (to determine an appropriate maintenance schedule) and what you contract called for, I would say you got your money's worth.

75 lbs spread over 18,000 feet is not a particularly heavy application. In fact, at "1:30 PM on a 90 degree humid day" I would be a little hesitant to put much at all out unless someone could convince me that it was absolutely necessary.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:26 AM   #3

fertilizer fleecing?

Thank you for your reply. Should I be concerned the second application I could not find one visible pellet, they where white before, after the application? I live in Wisconsin. Grass is standard subdividion grade.

Now a month after the application my feet are orange when walking in the lawn from rust. What causes this and should the last appplication have prevented this. It was getting rusty when he put the last application down. Thanks WISCO
Wisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:14 AM   #4
Don't know it all, yet!

fertilizer fleecing?

Found this on a quick Google to
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci...p950w.htm#rust

Hint: Always look for ".edu" and you will get better research information.
Rust

Figure 11. Rust on turf is identified by the orange pustules that break through the leaf surface. (RWS)
Rust, caused by Puccinia spp., is not seen every year, but sometimes becomes severe on susceptible varieties during hot periods of the summer when grass growth is reduced. When rust is severe, the lawn may have a yellowish to reddish-orange appearance. A red-orange dust fills the air when the grass is mowed and also collects on shoes and clothing. Individual blades of grass will have slightly elongated yellow-orange to red-orange spots or pustules (filled with a rusty colored powder -- the spores of the rust fungus) that break through the leaf surface (figure 11). When rust is severe, the grass blades turn yellow, wither and die. Rust may also weaken a lawn, making it more susceptible to winter kill the following winter.
Rust is favored by humid weather with night temperatures of 70-75 F, day temperatures of 85-95 F, wetness from dew lasting many hours after sunrise, and frequent light rain (or watering). Rust may be especially severe on Merion and Touchdown varieties of bluegrass, which are highly susceptible. When weather favors rust, the disease is more likely to be severe on low maintenance lawns -- lawns with low soil fertility and some degree of drought stress. It is also apt to be a problem in shady areas, on closely cut grass, and on newly laid sod.
Rust is easily controlled by maintaining good lawn growth with adequate fertilization and adequate watering. Once normal growth is obtained, mow the grass frequently at recommended mowing heights and remove the clippings, an important source of the rust fungus. Fungicides are not usually needed or economical for homeowners, but may be required to help protect new growth when rust is severe and weather promotes rust development.

Since I am in Atlanta area, I don't see rust. Maybe somebody does on occasion but not near as much problem as other things. I figured the N Dakota site would be more accurate for you. Hope this helps.