Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #1

Share |

Fertilize my lemon tree?

I have a Meyer lemon tree and a lime that are making floweres in January here in Southern Louisiana. The fertilizer I have says to fertilize when the flowers start. We have had a few freezes (high 20s ) for a few hours and I cover them with plant frost blankets. should I go ahead and fertilize or wait? Also the lemon tree has yellowing on the leaves and what appear to be minute leaf borers since the underside of the leaf is not green but rather, a gold brown in spots. The trees have been in the ground for one year and gave me fruit last year. Thanks, Lady d

Lady d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Fertilize my lemon tree?

In your climate you should be alright fertilizing now. As you know citrus trees love acid fertilizers. They are also prone to a condition caused chlorosis (as I remember from years ago) that is caused by an iron deficiency. It is characterized by yellow leaves with green veins. It is easy and inexpensive to correct with something like iron sulfate (but ask your nursery).

As for the insects, it is harder and harder for consumers to buy insecticides that actually do anything. And it gets expensive. I would call a pest control company. I think you will find it cheaper in the long run. They will know what to use and you can call them back if it doesn't work.

Boring insects can be fixed by giving them better reading materials. You should also look for scale insects on the bark on the underside of the leaves.

I envy you. I don't miss much about California but the dwarf citrus trees on my property. I had oranges almost all year round along with limes, lemons, grapefruit and tangerines. Unlike other fruit trees also on hand, you didn't have to race and deal with the citrus all at once.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #3

Fertilize my lemon tree?

Thank you for the advice and the pun. Good luck with your Cubs. All we have right now are paper bags coverings our heads when we cheer our Saints and Tigers. Well.... we also have Mardi Gras to help with the pain. Let the Bontemps Roulet. Lady d
Lady d is offline   Reply With Quote