Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
ptb

Share |

ferns

hello all,
need some advice on killling ferns. previous owner planted them. They travel everywhere even into neighbors yard. tried everything including roundup,ortho ect. kills a few but new shooots pop up daily. Next step is diesel when it drops below 5 bucks a gallon!

ptb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
DIY'er

ferns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptb View Post
hello all,
need some advice on killling ferns. previous owner planted them. They travel everywhere even into neighbors yard. tried everything including roundup,ortho ect. kills a few but new shooots pop up daily. Next step is diesel when it drops below 5 bucks a gallon!
What kind of ferns are we talking about and where do you live? I've never known them to be that aggressive by any means and I have a number of types of them.

They are usually susceptible to at least once type of weed killer. The first step is to properly ID them.

The other thing you can do is just mow them down and them cover them with thick news paper, then cover that with mulch or top soil.

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #3
ptb

ferns

i live in northern ca. I was told that the old owners grabbed them along roadside and brought them home to transplant. they are very invasive and travel all over on black roots fairly shallow. Dont know about the newspaper trick as they are popping through weeed mat and salt and pepper rock! I will try and grab a picture, would love to knoiw what weed killer would do the trick and so would the neighbor who hates my guts cuz ferns popping up all over his lawn!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #4

ferns

I kill things like that with straight white vinegar and for extra help I cut it to the ground and cover with tarp or heavy black plastic pinned flat to the ground.
debcasben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #5
ptb

ferns

my hope was to kill all of it by getting into the entire fern root system. As it is now the ferns are traveling into the neighbors yard and lawn area along with my lawn. Tarping the entire area not an option.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
DIY'er

ferns

What concentration % was the roundup that you used?

I'd be interested in seeing photos to see if we can ID it.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #7

ferns

This sounds like the Japanese climbing fern. Invasive, persistent, shallow black roots. We are having trouble with them in our forests in Texas. Take a look at this link and see if it looks like what you have.

http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/639
Broughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
ptb

ferns

i will gets some pics posted. It does sound and look a bit like the one Broughton posted... The roundup was concentrated and I did not dilute it that much. more to come....
Old 08-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #9
ptb

ferns

now that i look closer i dont think it is the japanese variety. it looks and acts like the stuff yiu see along the road near lush forests. I will get some pics posted soon.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

ferns

Well at least it is not Kudzu. Don't you wish people would stop planting things that do not belong in environments? Illegals and drugs are not the only things that get smuggled in too often. The amount of non native plant materials intercepted at the California border would shock you and with it all come bugs.

I have been out of California and the landscape business for some time but remember two chemicals that worked great.

Roundup is great stuff to a point but it is with limits. I hope you can still get it them in California but two substances we used to use in the industry for killing anything and preparing sites for plantings were calcium cyanamide (spelling from memory) and Vapam. You needed a license and sometimes a permit to work with them and in the case of Vapam you had to tarp the treated area.

Both were only active for a short period of time. Calcium cyanamide broke into two main things when moist and in soil contact. Cyanide and calcium. The cyanide left quickly and left calcium behind. Vapam just killed everything including plants (roots and rhyzomoes), bugs, fungi and so forth. As I remember, it only stayed active a matter of days though. Had to keep pets and kids away, hence the requirement for a license and permit.

Good luck with any invasive plant that grows on runners or rhyzomes and plunks down roots along its path. Others reading this? Do not plant things that are not suited to the environment.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote