Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2008, 07:19 PM   #1

Share |

Fence Problems

I've been really wanting to have my yard fenced in for my dogs and to stop the numerous unwelcome guests that walk through.
I have alot of issues, however, to take care of before I can even think about it.
The previous owners of my house put thick hedges around the edge of most of the back yard as well as a tiny lilac tree and a very, very tall skinny tree(Not sure of species). I want to install a fence that is either chainlink or wood, whichever turns out to be easier.
My question is, what can I do about all the plant life in the way? The cost of having them removed along with the cost to fence the yard in would probably break the bank, so any suggestions? T
he major problem is the large tree. Would it be possible to just attach the fence to the tree?
As for the hedges, if I used a chainlink fence, could I just chop the hedges to stumps?
Thanks in advance.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:52 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Larrysch

Fence Problems

Hey Shadow - see your a first poster too. Sounds like you have a pretty neat place with lots of shrubs and the such. I sure would not remove them but try and incorporate them into the fencing system. As far as the tree goes - do not attach the fence to it. It will keep growing and the fence will move with the growth of the tree. I would just come up to it with the fence and then plant the posts or what ever close but with room for the tree to grow. (The distance would have to be in uniform with the size of your critters.) Also if you have a fencing contractor in your area - have him stop by and give you some ideas - even if you have to pay him - it would be well worth the ideas that he may give you.
But that is all just my 2 cents worth.
Larrysch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
Lawn Care/Handyman Serv.

Fence Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrysch View Post
Hey Shadow - see your a first poster too. Sounds like you have a pretty neat place with lots of shrubs and the such. I sure would not remove them but try and incorporate them into the fencing system. As far as the tree goes - do not attach the fence to it. It will keep growing and the fence will move with the growth of the tree. I would just come up to it with the fence and then plant the posts or what ever close but with room for the tree to grow. (The distance would have to be in uniform with the size of your critters.) Also if you have a fencing contractor in your area - have him stop by and give you some ideas - even if you have to pay him - it would be well worth the ideas that he may give you.
But that is all just my 2 cents worth.
The tree will tend to grow around/over the wires and won't really cause any problems. If you make a wooden fence, it may be more of a problem.

Depending on what kind of bush/shrubs you have, if they are fast growing, you could do as you suggested and cut them down to a stump. Then build your fence (assuming it's a wire fence) and then let the bushes regrow up around the fence. Makes unwanted trespassers less likely to "climb over" and cross your property. We have the same problem at my son's house.
EZ Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #4

Fence Problems

Thanks for your help!
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote