Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #1

Share |

Fence Post Replacement in Existing Concrete

I am trying to replace one fence post in an awkward area between a garage foundation and a sidewalk. The old post was completely rotten and I did not want to break out the old concrete around it due the adjacent slabs and foundations. It appears that the sidewalk was poured the same time as the post was installed. I removed the old rotten post to a depth of 12", but the new treated post is a very tight fit. Should I just try to beat it it or are there some other tricks I can employ (maybe dry out the new post to shink it)? This post only supports a 1' section of fence and functions to latch the gate to. Thanks!

ggunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

If you need to shave the post down to make it fit, you can use a rasp, draw knife, plane, or wood file to do so.

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #3

I was brave and used a 12 pound sledge. It took about 24 whacks to drop it to the bottom of the hole. It is plumb and very solid in addition to saving all of the treated wood. Thanks!
ggunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Sounds like a good solution. The concrete provides the lateral strength an you got the wood and concrete to work together.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #5

It's obviously too late now but was the bottom of the hole for the post concrete or gravel? If it's concrete that was a major part of your problem because the water couldn't drain from around the post. If you embed a posting concrete the bottom definitely needs to be open, preferably sitting in a gravel bed.
Msradell is online now   Reply With Quote